Will i see lagging or freezing on this mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emir, Apr 16, 2010.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

I am going to switch to Mac, and i hope to stay on the Mac for the rest of my life. Biggest thing i hate about Windows is lagging and freezing. For example when you launch an application it takes tens of seconds to open and it just can't handle it the right way, lags all the time. I really don't want to see that on a Mac. I am planning to get the 15" 2.4 i5 MBP, will i see "any" lag on this machine or do i need to get the 2.53 Ghz model?

p.s. i don't do heavy stuff, i just watched Mac Support tutorial videos on apple.com and iLife really interested me, i'll be doing those, music, surfing, mail, regular computer stuff. Some paperwork, presentations. I mean lag when using iMovie would be the worst thing when switched to Mac with high hopes.

thanks for your replies.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

If your PC is jammed with crud(spyware, full caches, malware, viruses), has too little RAM and it's hard drive is too full, that's why it's so slow. Maybe your PC is just too old to run whatever you're trying to do on it. Say if you only have 1GB of RAM on windows vista or 7, things are going to slow to a crawl.

Saying a mac never hangs would be lying, same as saying it never crashes. If you do basic stuff then you don't need a lot of computing power, there is no point for you to go to the higher clock speed, you will not notice a single drop of difference between the two in everyday stuff.

3. Amnak macrumors 6502

Well it depends on the application.. like word 08, Garage band, and i don't have Photoshop on this one but the hole Creative Sweat takes more time then other lighter applications... But some of that Apple magic is to distract you with animation so what ever time it does take you be mystified into not noticing.

Also i believe ssd's make app opening faster but i can't say definitely because I don't have one.

4. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

my actual concern is lag during the usage of the application rather than opening it. It would just kill me.

5. SonicEarth macrumors member

Yes.

6. duky macrumors 6502

Things will still process, you'll still see loading bars. When exporting a movie you made into a different format there will be a time during which processing must take place. That won't go away. I'm not sure what you mean by "lag" -- I think that's a very subjective term. Will it be faster than your PC? Depends what specs are on your PC, what version of Windows you're running and what you have installed on it that's going on in the background. I don't think anyone here can answer your question the way you've posed it.

7. macDonalds macrumors 6502

Too many variables involved but the short answer is: yes, it will lag.

8. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

MY specs are;

Windows Vista 32 bit
    Intel Core2Duo 3.0 Ghz
    2 GB ddr-2 ram
    geforce 8800gts 312 mb
    170+80= 250 GB HDD ( 7+6=13Gb empty)
    ----------------------------------

you said that it will lag. Will all lag or mid-level or high end 15" would do it? And by lag i mean slowness, response time shortness etc... For example when you are browsing in Safari it becomes unresponsive for 10 seconds and starts responding.(happens all the time on my desktop pc, safari 4 for windows)

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Macs have some sort of mystic power that makes it difficult to lag or freeze the system.

I know what you mean, I used Windows for about 15-16 years and the mouse would stick or there would be frozen graphics for a few seconds and everything would just be fighting for room.

With my Macs, I never notice that, everything just seems to go smooth.

10. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

so you say 2.4 i5 would be fine? no need for extra ram or i7? Anybody backing up?

11. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Hahaha, are you kidding? It's hard to lag my 1.25ghz PowerMac G4 from 2003!

If lag is your only concern, just assume you won't see any of it on ANY current Mac with 2gb or more of ram, depending on how many applications you're running at a time.

I use Time Machine to backup, it's just so easy.

12. duky macrumors 6502

I don't know how delusional people must be to really make the claim that Macs don't lag. The i7 (or i5) will be faster than your Windows machine were based on the specs you've included and you'll likely have far less of a laggy machine but you will unfortunately have to deal with some episodes of 'lag'.

13. Amnak macrumors 6502

I've read on this form that the i5 and i7 on the new macs don't have a huge difference in performance. The low end and middle end MBP are virtually the same except the hard drive is bigger in the middle one.

14. chopper dave macrumors regular

I tried launching Creative Sweat but then my mom caught me and I was grounded for a week.

Seriously, your problem is not with windows, it's with running modern software on old hardware. Try a clean install of Windows and if it still lags, replace the hard drive with an SSD- a lot cheaper than a shiny new mac.

That said, if you decide to switch to mac you'll love it :).

15. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Ive seen C2D Macs 'lag' (and their owners agree). FWIW my 1.66GHz C2D Win7 machine almost never lags. So I'm sure it's something with the setup of your computer...

You will notice no difference between a 2.4 and a 2.53GHz i5... - sheesh why do people think that a 5% clock speed increase is noticable in anything other than benchmarks?

16. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

The truth is that Windows will inevitably become slower over time because of the registry.[1][2]

Mac OS X organizes preferences differently so it has no such problems. Unless you fill up your hard drive too much or run too many applications at once, then no, OS X will not slow down inexorably like Windows does.

No current Mac will "lag" unless you do what described above. And no, Safari for OS X is much, much better than the Windows version. You shouldn't have any problems, regardless of what the PC fanboys will tell you.