Will I sound like a Douche

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Chibears87, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Chibears87 macrumors newbie

Heres the deal, Phones been perfect only thing is that there is a speck of dust near the top right under the screen that I noticed...

I really dont want a new or refurb because Im pretty happy with my phone but want the dust cleaned from underneath lol....Sounds nitpicky...

So should I just call bestbuy or apple or will I sound like a douche??? Will they even consider this an issue.....I have till 14th to hit my 30 day return mark

Also how the hell does dust get under there, I had my iphone 3g for 2yrs and it has zero dust under the screen

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

Im guessing you have the 4 since you did not say. if it is a 3g or 3gs it can be easily cleaned. if it is the 4 I would take it back! they will swap it. now most likely bestbuy will have to order it. apple will have it in stock but if you try to return it to best buy down the road if you have their insurance you wont be able to do it if you go to apple. so best bet is bestbuy! but I would take it back!

3. Chibears87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Should I take my jailbreak off and delete all the important info on my phone before I go up there..

yes its an iPhone 4 btw

4. LifeInLoFi macrumors member

LifeInLoFi

You should definitely take your jailbreak off and restore your iPhone from iTunes. A JB voids your iPhone's warranty.

=M=

5. Chibears87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was wondering if hiding installous and cydia in a folder would work

6. dave420 macrumors 65816

If you are going to ask for a replacement maybe you should reset it to defaults before you go in? It probably doesn't matter either way though.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wouldnt risk it.
    Then they will refuse service and your warranty is void if they notice it by plugging it into their system

8. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

+1

If taking a device in for service, back it up, erase everything, DFU restore it, then set it up as new.

Don't risk your warranty being voided. Especially if the Apple guys see Installous.

9. Chibears87 thread starter macrumors newbie

So how do I setup as new without upgrading the firmware to 4.1

Also I never backed up my iPhone 4 until AFTER I jailbroke it....

The reason I'm going to tell them why I'm bringing it in is because I'm worried that if there is one little tiny speck of dust now there might be even more a few months down the road...sound good??

10. Chibears87 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

you have no choice you have to restore your iphone before you take it in. backing up before or after you jailbreak has no bearing. just back it up and restore it in iTunes. you will lose the current firmware you have on it when you do it but you will at least get your iphone replaced. but also it has nothing to do with the 30 days you mentioned in your first post. you have 1 year. so wait to the next upadate has been jailbroke then take it back and get it taken care of at that time. then you can bring your new one home and JB it again!

12. Chibears87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just saying the 30days because thats when my Best Buy warranty is up and I figured I might have a better chance returning with them

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They will send u to apple.
    Unless you want to return the phone and get your money back.

14. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

ok now I am confused. what iphone do you have? how long have you had it? you get 1 year from apple. if you just bought the phone from bestbuy and did not take the insurance then dont worry about it just go to apple. if you have the insurance that is when you need to return to bestbuy. now if your phone is a year old you need to hurry! but if its a year old it has to be a 3g or 3gs and this issue is easily fixed. but I would still return it for a replacement.

15. cypher23 macrumors member

cypher23

Dust under the screen is covered under warranty. It's classified as foreign debris. If you are trying to get it replaced, you're going to need to go to an Apple store since Best Buy does not do warranty replacements unless you purchase their insurance plan AND you're no longer under Apple's 1-year limited warranty.

As far as the JB issue. When you go to the Apple store, the Genius is going to connect your iPhone to their computer to run diagnostics and if it's JB, even if it's not related to the issue, will void your warranty and the Genius may not service your iPhone. Better safe than sorry, just restore your iPhone before going in.