Will I Still Have Service If I Cancel from AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by motoman, Sep 7, 2008.

1. motoman macrumors newbie

Quick Question. I am overseas (middle east) on a long-term business assignment and apparently reside in one of the few countries that will do not sell Iphones. Is it possible when I go back to the States for Christmas to buy an Iphone, use it for the 20-30 days that I am there on vacaction, and then cancel the subscription --- I know I would have to pay $175 for cancellation. My total cost would be $399+$175 = $574

I could then bring back the Iphone to my overseas location and pop-in a local sim card from the local phone copmany. People are doing this in the country where I currently reside after unlocking the older 2g phone. I realize that no one has figured out how to unlock a 3g Iphone yet ---- but does that really matter if I am willing to pay AT&T for the $175 cancellation fee?

I know this is a bit confusing but I would appreciate any feedback on this...

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Yes you've over complicated the whole thing...
    AT&T will demand the phone back if canceled within 30 days. I don't think anyone has pushed this as they are wanting the phone. Don't forget there is a prorated phone bill for the time you had it. So its iPhone$ +ETF$ + prorated bill$ = at least $650

After 31 days they will let you keep it. AT&T will NOT unlock the phone however. At this point you have a $650 8gig Pod. Slapping a non-AT&T sim card in it from some other provider makes it a $650 iPod with a useless sim card :p However it will still work on AT&T networks as a PAYG phone if you get a PAYG sim.
    You will need to either get Turbo SIM or Rebel SIM to use it with a non-AT&T carrier.

3. motoman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep... over complication of things seems to be an ongoing issue with me. But thanks for the reply.

I now realize that I would also have to tack on the pro-rata fee to bring the bill up to +$650... but this seems to be my only option. The big question for me is will the Turbo Sim or Rebel Sim actually work with the 3g phone?

I really am excited to continue my migration to Apple having converted my entire extened household over from windows throughout the last year (by my count this amounts to +3 imacs, +6 laptops, +3 Itouches, +1 timecapsul, +2 airport extreams and +3 airport expresses).

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Probably easier for you to get someone to send you an iPhone 3G from France or some other country that sells unlocked iPhone 3G.

Also if you are in the military, another person on the forum may have been successful in having ATT unlock their phone do to deployment overseas.

5. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Both devices claim success in the 3g iPhones...

I'd honestly look for a first gen iPhone while back in the states.
    Cheaper, guaranteed to work and IMHO a heck of a lot more stable/reliable.