Will I void My Warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 2A Batterie, Dec 10, 2008.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I have a 2.4 Intel MacBook that I purchased in April. I want to upgrade the memory to 4gb and swap out the hard drive for a bigger one. I've searched this forum and found conflicting replies. One said that replacing either RAM or my HD will void my warranty, another said that HD is user-replaceable and RAM is not, while another said both are fine. Any idea on what is accurate? How much would it cost to just take it to the Apple Store and have a genius replace the HD and RAM? I can do it myself, but I don't wish to void my warranty.

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

you will not void your warranty and yes you can do it yourself

3. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Both are user-serviceable parts, you'll be fine.

5. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

You can do both yourself (it's very simple!) and you won't void your warranty. Apple even gives you instructions on how to do it on their website.

Just a tip on installing RAM if you've never done this before. There will probably be a sticker-label on the RAM module to identify it. Don't remove it as it isn't necessary and will probably void the warranty on the RAM itself.
    Also, it takes quite a bit of force to insert the module into the MacBook, so make sure it's fitted properly.

6. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

If in Warranty:

RAM is user installable. Will not Void Warranty.

However --

Upgrading the HDs will Void your Warranty, if you attempt to do this yourself, since this is not as easy. Also, Apple specifies that if you attempt to make an AppleCare claim and find a non-Apple certified HD, they can refuse service.

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

You can upgrade your hard drive. Apple just won't cover it if something happens to it or the Ram as they are not Apple upgrades. Apple will still warranty the rest of the computer as long as no damage was done to it while replacing the memory or hard drive.

8. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I must have been talking to a idiot at the AppleCare number i just called, as he told me NO.

Were is this apple webpage that tells me otherwise then? Just curious.

9. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I think the confusion comes from that fact that the warranty for the RAM and HDD is lost if you replace the OEM ones. The rest of the system is still under warrant as long as you don't break anything when trying to replace those items.

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

On a regular Macbook it won't void the warranty.

Here's the guide if you need help changing the hard drive, Click here.

11. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

OrangeSVT--

I know what your saying, but on my MBP, when i sent it in for them to Repair my IR port on my laptop, they refused because the prior owner changed the HD to a non Apple Certified drive, which does work. I'm on it right now.

The Apple Repair Depot guy called me and told me that it wouldn't be repaired do to this issue [HD replacement]. I told him that the HD worked and was fine, just to replace the parts needed. He told me that Apple would then bill me $950 to replace these parts, because the warranty was voided.

Okay i feel like an idiot myself, just read my manuel. It is not a DIY part on my computer but is yours [to the OP]. Sorry, OrangeSVT.

12. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

I've been confused on this as well. I asked two people at the Apple Store and got different responses. One told me that if I upgraded the hard drive OR ram on my new MacBook my warranty would be voided. Another told me that I would be fine but if I broke anything while doing the upgrade I would void my warranty. So what's the deal? Should I just keep my old ram and hard drive if I upgrade and then put them back in if I ever need service done?

13. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

I'm worried about this too. I have non-Apple RAM and hard drive and will be taking it to the Apple store soon to fix the trackpad, didn't think of this.

I'm thinking that no, it will not void our warranties because Apple provides instructions on their site.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf

I'd bet anything that just replacing RAM will not void it, simply because it is intended to be user replaced. They put it the manual, so I don't see why not. @Lava Lamp Freak: the first person you talked to is either misinformed or an idiot.

14. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I think just keeping your old parts and swapping them back in if you ever need service is probably your best bet, Apple would be none the wiser either way.

15. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I think that some Apple reps are saying it voids your warranty is because:

1. they have no idea what they're talking about, or
    2. they just want you to do the upgrade through Apple.

We should all email Apple to write a damn letter on their website to make it very clear so we don't have this topic pop up every couple of weeks.

16. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

I'm inclined to think they are trained to sell the upgrades by warning you about voiding warranty. On the other hand the person I spoke with who told me it would void my warranty suggested I CTO from the Apple Store online because it would be cheaper than having the computer upgraded in the store.

17. maximage macrumors newbie

Easiest answer ... just go straight to the AppleCare terms and conditions. Download the pdf at http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/AppleCare_Protect_Plan_NA_en.pdf

Point !.b.ii states the plan does not cover "Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty
    installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service
    Provider), unauthorized modification
    , extreme environment (including extreme temperature or
    humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical
    power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes."

So in other words, they will not cover any faulty installation or damage caused (fair enough), but unless the problem was actually caused by the changes you made, they have no clause to exclude it. So, in the case mentioned above, unless the infra red port was actually damaged by the person installing the new optical drive, they have no right to get out of it. In this situation, the port is right next to the drive, so may have been damaged in the process, but they can't exclude your entire warranty simply because you changed the hard drive.

18. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

Well I've had no issues with swapping my ram, when i have my old duffer fan replaced, i told the chap in the apple store id done that, and that i'd removed the cover to see if it was something obvious like a stick hitting the fan, and he was fine with it.

After all, in the Alu MB on the inside of the battery cover it shows you with diagrams on how to remove the cover to swap the ram, would you advertise that if it was controversial ?

19. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Don't worry, upgrading both the RAM and HD are fully allowed, just don't expect any cover for the new items.

20. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Basically you are saying, Apple trains their staff to be liars?

Personally I just don't think they're trained enough. It always seems there are contradicting issues between Apple's Staff and what the consumer's have heard/believe.

There just needs to be more educated staff who know what they're talking about.

Though you may be right, maybe the staff are "inclined" to tell people what's best for Apple's revenues.

21. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

I know that Best Buy staff has lied to me about many things. They've tried to sell me cables I don't need, warranty I don't need, calibration I don't need, etc.. So, while I don't know that that is indeed the case with Apple, it wouldn't surprise me.

I do agree that Apple Store staff needs better training. I always find that I know more about their computers than they do.

22. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

That is true. The RAM is definitely User-Serviceable and will not void your warranty. However, if you RAM goes bad, you can't go blame Apple.
    Next, the Hard Drive is not user replaceable. However, if you want to send it in for repair, you could always just swap the Hard Drive back in, and it would seem like any old MacBook.

Also, about the Apple Employees, I don't think they're trained to lie, they just don't know enough. Heck, even me, as a 14 year old, is more educated about the Mac than most Apple Geniuses I've met.

23. zennegen macrumors newbie

when i bought my macbook, an instruction manual came with it showing me how to remove and replace memory. im not sure if it was ram or harddrive, but if they show you how, it must be ok.

24. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

You can upgrade your RAM and HDD without voiding your warranty.

Apple will not take in your computer and upgrade your parts for you. You can go to Apple certified technicians in specialty shops that will do these for you and then insure their work and you can burn them if you should have a problem.

Apple does not upgrade anything they sell based on request. If you have a problem under AppleCare and need a replacement, you can sometimes get an upgrade out of that, but there must first be a reason to replace the part other than the fact that you want to.

25. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

will apple install the part if its purchased from them?