Will ichat be like bbm?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleFreak89, Jun 3, 2010.

1. AppleFreak89 macrumors regular

The only thing keeping me to my blackberry is bbm, I LOVE that you know when a message was delivered and read. do you think ichat will be similar to bbm in that sense and also that is will work like a chat between iphones (and macs probably)? :)

2. AppleFreak89 thread starter macrumors regular

3. MDMac macrumors regular

MDMac

If iChat is indeed released for the iPhone, I'd reckon that it will be similar to the desktop Mac client.

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

How would anybody possibly know the answer to this question? Wait until Monday and we will all know the answer to this.

5. azsprty macrumors 6502

Everyone can ask 80 ****** question no one knows but this one is a problem?

6. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I think asking a question about whether a certain software or hardware will be included on a device is a reasonable question. Asking what the software will be like for something that has never been released or possibly not even developed is impossible to answer. Will Microsoft Word 2012 use the same color scheme as Microsoft Word 2007?

Everyone can only offer their opinions. Nobody knows any facts about this. If you're looking for opinions then that's fine, but it seemed like the question was looking for facts. If you want my opinion, yes I hope it is somewhat similar to BBM from a functionality perspective. Not so much on the looks though.

7. MDMac macrumors regular

MDMac

C'mon. He wasn't asking if anyone knew any facts; He was asking for opinions.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

My guess is it will function threw the AOL IM network.

9. bfh123 macrumors regular

So let me get this straight.....

Assuming all the speculation about ICHAT and a front facing camera is correct, and ATT is capping data. It seems like ATT is looking to milk a cash cow as people go over on their data plans as they play with IChat...

10. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

iChat will mock the MSS application. Perhaps both will merge?

11. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Yeah I could see the iChat functionality being merged with the messages app. But I think that it'll be a separate app, so that you can have a buddy list, etc. I think it will be similar to BBM in that you can send messages, like texts, to friends but for free.

12. bripab007 macrumors 6502

There's several apps available for the iPhone that already do this, using Apple's push notification service (APN): WhatsApp (this one actually has a version for Blackberry users as well, so iPhone and BB users can send each other messages for free!), TextFree, etc.

Is that what the original poster was asking?

13. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Well, if it's iChat, I would imagine it'd be very similar to iChat on the mac books. You would instant message as you would with say, AIM. So no, it wouldn't be like BBM, it would be better.

14. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

It may be just like the camera app on the 3Gs. A simple toggle switch to go between MSS and your ichat. ichat contact list will plug right in with your existing contacts on the phone. (No real need for two contract lists)

Perhaps a visual overhall? With the rumored high res screens, we may see the defealut apps get a visual overhall.

15. Zelnaga macrumors regular

Doubt id be anything like BBM though I would hope so. Something as simple as having message delievered and read may not seem much, but its actually quite useful. I think iChat is mainly for video conferencing and for hopefully? free iphone-to-iphone messenger.