Will iChat Replace FaceTime Someday?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr. Incredible, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

Personally, I think having an iChat app for the iPhone will be an amazing feature; much better than FaceTime when making a phone call.

2. saving107, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Nope, FaceTime is Apple's newest feature and I don't see them ever back-peddle to iChat. Even the iSight camera has been renamed to FaceTime Camera.

[​IMG]

MacBook Air Tech Specs
    http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

3. davwin macrumors regular

I have to agree - I believe ichat will be merged with or replaced altogether by FaceTime. The name is irrelevant in the long run: as long as they port the back-end structure from ichat into FT that will be fine with me :)

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I'm pretty sure that iChat will disappear in Lion. I just hope that its features find their way into Facetime.

5. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

Apple really needs to implement its on chat service.. Similar to BBM..

6. MBX, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

MBX macrumors 65816

oops nevermind.

Yes I sure do hope iChat integrates FaceTime's feature and replaces it as app. No need to have two apps when iChat already can do video-conferencing and typing/ sending files.

7. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

I agree! Even though we have apps like "KiK", "Whatsapp" and "PingChat!"

8. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

i think you should just be able to add a facetime account to ichat, i just don't see the reason for having 2 separate apps on the mac, when it could easily be merged into one

add: maybe adium will be able to add a facetime account soon, that'd be great!!

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I agree with those saying Facetime is the future.

iChat will remain as their text-based application, but I would not be surprised at all to see it lose video chat soon and have it simply launch Facetime when you try to video chat with it.

I'm not basing that on anything but I would not be surprised if it happens.

10. diogojg20 macrumors newbie

diogojg20

No I don't think so... because Facetime was created for IOS Devices... and Ichat was created for Macs.. and Ichat is a bit like skype... same features... but I don´t so.. at least for now.. Facetime was just released with the new Iphone 4 and Ipod touch 4 so I don´t think apple is considering replacing Facetime for Ichat anytime soon... Ichat is also quite old.. Facetime is the future.

Cheers Diogojg20