Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Nope, FaceTime is Apple's newest feature and I don't see them ever back-peddle to iChat. Even the iSight camera has been renamed to FaceTime Camera.

screenshot20110119at104.png

MacBook Air Tech Specs
http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

Last edited:

davwin

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
I have to agree - I believe ichat will be merged with or replaced altogether by FaceTime. The name is irrelevant in the long run: as long as they port the back-end structure from ichat into FT that will be fine with me :)

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I'm pretty sure that iChat will disappear in Lion. I just hope that its features find their way into Facetime.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
oops nevermind.

Yes I sure do hope iChat integrates FaceTime's feature and replaces it as app. No need to have two apps when iChat already can do video-conferencing and typing/ sending files.

Last edited:

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
i think you should just be able to add a facetime account to ichat, i just don't see the reason for having 2 separate apps on the mac, when it could easily be merged into one

add: maybe adium will be able to add a facetime account soon, that'd be great!!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I agree with those saying Facetime is the future.

iChat will remain as their text-based application, but I would not be surprised at all to see it lose video chat soon and have it simply launch Facetime when you try to video chat with it.

I'm not basing that on anything but I would not be surprised if it happens.

diogojg20

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2010
No I don't think so... because Facetime was created for IOS Devices... and Ichat was created for Macs.. and Ichat is a bit like skype... same features... but I don´t so.. at least for now.. Facetime was just released with the new Iphone 4 and Ipod touch 4 so I don´t think apple is considering replacing Facetime for Ichat anytime soon... Ichat is also quite old.. Facetime is the future.

Cheers Diogojg20

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.