Will iChat support facebook chat soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SouthernMac, May 2, 2008.

1. SouthernMac macrumors member

It seems like a good idea, millions of users, tons of potential, etc...

2. walnuts macrumors 6502

Wouldn't facebook prefer that users visit their site and add traffic to their website?

Then again, I guess gmail allows imap access which allows me to never use the gmail site.

3. lostinmysphere macrumors member

4. glasserp macrumors regular

i really hope not... what do you like about it?

5. SouthernMac thread starter macrumors member

To be honest, I don't really care but it seems like it would be a good idea since most of the people I talk to use facebook rather than any other chat application... and I seriously doubt it will affect facebook traffic, finding out which Disney princess you are is way too much fun.

6. ekdor, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013

ekdor Guest

7. Middling macrumors regular

The problem lies with Facebook in this case. They've previously stated that they're going to enable Facebook chat for XMPP (the official standard for IM), but seem to be dragging their heels on it.

iChat supports XMPP, so if Facebook ever honours their previous announcement Apple wont have to do a thing.

In the mean-time i understand that Adium supports Facebook chat. I can't tell you how well as i don't use Facebook.

8. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

Adium does in fact support Facebook chat.

I've only used it a few times, but for me, it worked fine. I did find it a little annoying though, because people are constantly signing in and out of facebook, so your list is constantly changing, and if you have it set to show notifications, it could drive you nuts. However, the chat function works just fine.

9. christall109 macrumors 6502

This is becoming a must have feature for me. A lot more people in my generation are moving away from iChat to Facebook.

I think Facebook announced a plan for their chat to support Jabber, but I don't think they have really done anything with it yet.

Maybe in 10.7...

10. JLUGO35 Guest

JLUGO35

If Ichat supported the major IM protocols such as Yahoo, MSN along with AIM, I would be in heaven.

11. lefooey macrumors member

iChat supports published, stable protocols. Yahoo and MSN change their protocols regularly and break third party applications.

Facebook should really honor their promise to support Jabber, but it's more likely they'll just forget they ever said that as the walls around their walled garden get taller.

12. Middling macrumors regular

Looks like Facebook have finally made good on their promise of almost two years ago to enabled XMPP-based chat.

The server appeared a couple of months ago but wasn't accessible to the public but it seems that it is now live.

And since iChat supports XMPP/Jabber you should be able to log in with it (i imagine a new version of Adium will appear in the near future switching away from the current http Facebook method to standard XMPP).

I haven't tested it since i don't have a Facebook account, but a few different bloggers have reported success.

Official Facebook Blog Posting