Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sw19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I have many contacts using iChat AV. Many on older systems that are not capable of running FaceTime. I don't want to lose the capability to not video chat with these people.
Can I keep iChat if I upgrade to Lion?

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
I have many contacts using iChat AV. Many on older systems that are not capable of running FaceTime. I don't want to lose the capability to not video chat with these people.

I think they exist for different intentions so yes iChat will definitely work on Lion. Perhaps eventually they will integrate the features in iChat into Facetime, once it's opened up some more but it's still early days yet.

Anyway, Facetime does not communicate with other chat services, iChat does.

I heard that iChat was incorporating Yahoo IM in Lion anyway. :)

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico

Why do you think iChat isn't in Lion? Nowhere has it ever been stated that iChat has been removed or replaced.

sw19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Thanks. I thought Facetime would replace iChat AV

maz69

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
FaceTime replacing iChat... WHY

I'm new to this, but felt so irritated by apple i felt a need to respond... so I hope this is in the right place... After installing the new lion software, i now have no camera facility available on iChat...
After a long winded talk (1 hour!) to the lovely people in support, they finally tell me that iChat is no longer supported and I will have to use FaceTime for video! So what about my contacts? well they have to buy the application or the software upgrade!! So far, I am regretting the upgrade, more cons than pros that i have found so far.... :mad::mad:

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I'm new to this, but felt so irritated by apple i felt a need to respond... so I hope this is in the right place... After installing the new lion software, i now have no camera facility available on iChat...
After a long winded talk (1 hour!) to the lovely people in support, they finally tell me that iChat is no longer supported and I will have to use FaceTime for video! So what about my contacts? well they have to buy the application or the software upgrade!! So far, I am regretting the upgrade, more cons than pros that i have found so far.... :mad::mad:

Video in iChat works just fine. I don't know why you were told that it was not supported.

maz69

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Video in iChat works just fine. I don't know why you were told that it was not supported.
Hmm... well that is curious, since i updated, i only have a phone symbol next to contact, mine shows a camera next to my name at the top, but not to my contact! both our cams are working fine on skype, and showing up on preferences in iChat, but not able to use for video calls now... the applecare team told me it is no longer supported! I don't know what to do to try and rectify it, if even the support team say this.... i thought it was odd not to have it anymore.... :confused:

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Hmm... well that is curious, since i updated, i only have a phone symbol next to contact, mine shows a camera next to my name at the top, but not to my contact! both our cams are working fine on skype, and showing up on preferences in iChat, but not able to use for video calls now... the applecare team told me it is no longer supported! I don't know what to do to try and rectify it, if even the support team say this.... i thought it was odd not to have it anymore.... :confused:

I'm not sure. All I can do is say what is working on my system. There has never been any rumors of video being left out of iChat. The developer builds had issues with yahoo video at first, but things got fixed.

maz69

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
I'm not sure. All I can do is say what is working on my system. There has never been any rumors of video being left out of iChat. The developer builds had issues with yahoo video at first, but things got fixed.

Thanks for clearing that up then, it has to be something with my computer... who knows what, but apple care team were clearly a bit rubbish! I said to the guy that it seemed strange they would take away a fully functioning programme and replace without a word!

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for clearing that up then, it has to be something with my computer... who knows what, but apple care team were clearly a bit rubbish! I said to the guy that it seemed strange they would take away a fully functioning programme and replace without a word!

It does not help that it is not working for your system, but good to know Apple did not remove the function in Lion.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Seriously, Apple should consider consolidating iMessage, iChat, FaceTime into a single app. All three serve the same purpose, i.e., communicating.

The simpler, the better.

I think that's what Apple is going to ultimately do. I just don't see Apple having different applications that crossover each other. They have iMessage that will work with those with iOS, FaceTime for those who have Mac/iPhone/iPad, I think it's only a matter of time until Apple incorporates everything together to make one service.

maz69

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
I think that's what Apple is going to ultimately do. I just don't see Apple having different applications that crossover each other. They have iMessage that will work with those with iOS, FaceTime for those who have Mac/iPhone/iPad, I think it's only a matter of time until Apple incorporates everything together to make one service.

the problem with FaceTime is lack of compatibility and no option to type a message, with chat its all there in a nice format... well it was for me until the video went! ;):confused:

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
the problem with FaceTime is lack of compatibility and no option to type a message, with chat its all there in a nice format... well it was for me until the video went! ;):confused:

That's what I mean. I get why Apple wanted to introduce FaceTime but I thought it was silly since iChat already have video chat even if it only for those with a Mac and had an account to use iChat, I figured why not rework iChat and/or extend the functionality? Now with iMessage and that huge data centre, you sort of get the feeling that Apple is trying to work to bring communication with all Apple devices and if that were to ever happen, that would be a killer feature.

maz69

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
That's what I mean. I get why Apple wanted to introduce FaceTime but I thought it was silly since iChat already have video chat even if it only for those with a Mac and had an account to use iChat, I figured why not rework iChat and/or extend the functionality? Now with iMessage and that huge data centre, you sort of get the feeling that Apple is trying to work to bring communication with all Apple devices and if that were to ever happen, that would be a killer feature.

Absolutely! combining the two would be good, but to have another app... just getting messy now! i love the simplicity of mac, but i wish i could sort the problem with my lack of video since my update...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.