Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Same here. The limited Share function of iDisk was its best and most unique feature. I did this a lot to share things to other people without getting caught up in the shared-storage issues of making shared directories in Dropbox.

Love how you could just give them a generated url to get to the file, have the link expire automatically, etc. And all without opening a public directory where they can get to other files in there. Haven't seen a replacement for that, and yet that is precisely what I want a replacement for.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
Same here. The limited Share function of iDisk was its best and most unique feature. I did this a lot to share things to other people without getting caught up in the shared-storage issues of making shared directories in Dropbox.

Love how you could just give them a generated url to get to the file, have the link expire automatically, etc. And all without opening a public directory where they can get to other files in there. Haven't seen a replacement for that, and yet that is precisely what I want a replacement for.

This is exactly how I used iDisk. And I've not found a service that works the same way, even those with public folder options. It was a simple way to sharing files with others.

robbysibrahim

macrumors regular
May 13, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
hint of forthcoming iCloud dropbox?

A Hint from AppStorm (works great for me and as fast as dropbox):

Bring back the iDisk: With the introduction of iCloud Apple axed its iDisk offering from its cloud package, but with a little Finder know-how you can gain most of that functionality back. Once you’ve signed in with an Apple ID on your Mac, inside your Library you’ll find a folder called “Mobile Documents”, simply right click it to create an alias and and drag it to wherever you like.
With the introduction of Mac OS X Lion the Library folder is now hidden by default. To easily access it, open Finder, hold down the Shift+Command+G keys and type in “~/Library/” (without the quotation marks, of course).

Now, whenever you want to keep a file in the iCloud, just drag it into the alias and let the syncing magic begin. It’s worth noting that this space will count towards your free 5GB of storage, so use it wisely unless you want to shell out a bit of extra cash.

In Mountain Lion DP4, going to the above-mentioned folder even changes the title of the window unexpectedly to iCloud with an actual cloud icon! This further hints at an official iCloud dropbox feature?

Observe:
20120614-8uua1npxad3nsxdacj23q1tsx.jpg

amlou1130

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
I too will miss iDisk and wish they would have kept it around. My favorite part of iDisk was checking the box to allow it to be public and for anyone to be able to write to it. It made it easy to share files with others who were not MobileMe users.

Unless Dropbox or SkyDrive has a similar feature that I've missed, this function is not found in anything else but iDisk.

Me, too! I am so frustrated by the options I've found out there. I used iDisk to move files back and forth between myself and my clients. I thought I had found a replacement in GoDaddy's data storage service, but it doesn't work. Without signing up, clients can view/download any items I put in a shared folder, but in order for them to be able to write to it, they have to sign up. I don't like forcing my clients to sign up for a service they don't want. I miss the iDisk something terrible.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
Me, too! I am so frustrated by the options I've found out there. I used iDisk to move files back and forth between myself and my clients. I thought I had found a replacement in GoDaddy's data storage service, but it doesn't work. Without signing up, clients can view/download any items I put in a shared folder, but in order for them to be able to write to it, they have to sign up. I don't like forcing my clients to sign up for a service they don't want. I miss the iDisk something terrible.

The "not needing users to sign up" is the key. Hoping there is something out there that can have this option (and one that easy to implement and configure)

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Apple doesn't want to deal with the piracy issue. They seem to be expanding the closed architecture that they started with iOS to the Mac by controlling what gets saved on their servers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.