Will iCloud work with Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Steve's Barber, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

All the reports say no but I'm hoping. Not sure how much work went inside Lion for iCloud but I'm not quite ready to adopt 10.7 for my permanent OS just yet.

Apple says Lion is necessary for iCloud but they also said the Snow Leopard would be required to upgrade to Lion (which was false). :)

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

They won't put the hooks for iCloud in Snow Leopard because the want everyone to upgrade. But just like you don't feel ready for Lion yet, you shouldn't feel ready for iCloud at release either!

3. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

iCloud is integrated into Lion. In the latest 10.7.2 build (11C37), iCloud takes the place of MobileMe in System Prefs.

4. Lokheed macrumors regular

Don't hold your breadth. iCloud's only limitation is that it will never run on 32bit Macs. And since all 64bit Macs are capable of running Lion, it stands to reason that Apple will want you to pony up the dough and upgrade.

Can't blame them. Lion carries a lot of infrastructure that lays the way for not just iCloud, or the MAS, but a lot of what's to come. It's more economical for them to shift away from Snow Leopard to deliver these services.

5. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

only Apple will abandon a large part of its users, or "force" them to upgrade, in order to neatly carry out another of Steve's grand visions.

6. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I can't believe some of the short sighted or plain ignorant comments being made here.

You have to be on crack to expect Apple to support both Snow Leopard and Lion with iCloud. Keep in mind that iCloud is a feature in Lion. Apple is abandoning no users here. If you want or need a feature that is part of the new OS, expect to have to upgrade.

S-

7. FSMBP, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yeah, it would be totally ridiculous for Apple to support a 2-year old OS. It's not like they're supporting a rival's 4 year old one or anything (Vista).

Also, please note by fall (iCould's release), Lion wouldn't even be out for more than 3-4 months. I know Apple clearly wants people to update, but come on - show some respect to users on 10.6.