Will iDVD burn me a DivX DVD without converting it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ionlygreat, Aug 5, 2008.

1. ionlygreat macrumors member

Just a quick question, something I couldn't find the answer for after extensive searching.
    I have some avi files that are DivX or XVid. I'd like to know if I can use iDVD to create a fancy menu, etc. and then write these files to a DVD WITHOUT having iDVD trying to convert them to the standard DVD format. In other words, I'd like the files to retain their current format so that they can be played back on a DivX DVD player...

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

Don't use iDVD. Just burn the disc in finder or use another software package like Toast.

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

No. The only way to get anything working in iDVD is *.mov or share through iMovie!

4. ionlygreat thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your tip, but I actually wanted to use iDVD as I really liked the themes and menus that it allows me to use. In fact, I have toast and know that it will actually write divx files, but I didn't like the fact that it didn't allow me to create the kind of professional menus that iDVD did.
    So, will iDVD do it?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

DivX is proprietary encoding, so you will need to transcode it first.

6. ionlygreat thread starter macrumors member

whoops, i guess i started typing the above post before you posted this. Thanks,that answers my question. So, I guess i'd have to use quicktime pro to convert the files to .mov or something?