Will iMac 2011 reduce in price when 2012 launches?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by davidnssbm, Feb 21, 2012.

1. davidnssbm macrumors regular

I'm looking for a new iMac but I'm not sure if I should buy a 2011 if it's gonna be cheaper in a few months? any insight?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Most likely.

3. davidnssbm thread starter macrumors regular

how much money is saved? I'm wondering if this is worth the wait to buy 2011 when 2012 launches

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Pretty much every current computer will be cheaper "in a few months." You can play the waiting game forever. You're only going to be able to buy the old models of the iMac from third-party resellers after the update anyways, so all bets are off on how much they'll cost. You're likely looking at $100-200 off the current price.

5. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

MacMall tends to do "blowouts" of old models after the new ones are announced. Tend to be in the neighborhood of 10-15% off.

6. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Once a new model of computer comes out, Apple stops selling the old one.
    You might be able to find older iMacs in retailers or you could certainly buy a used one with a certain saving after the launch of the new model.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"how much money is saved? I'm wondering if this is worth the wait to buy 2011 when 2012 launches"

When a new version of the iMac is released, Apple and resellers will "mark down" the "old stock" (just-discontinued items) until they clear out their inventories.

But the markdown won't be all that much. I would expect to see discounts of, say, $100-150 below the lowest prices you see right now.

It will then become your decision - whether you want to have "the latest and greatest" at the full price, or can be satisfied with "last year's tech" at a decent savings. Your choice.

You'll be able to save a little, but don't expect "a killing"...

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If you are willing to buy a refurb, expect to find the discontinued models drop in price as soon as the new models become available . Savings are usually around 1/3 off the original new prices by the time the new models are available refurbished. It's a good way to pick up a bargain if you don't have to have the latest model.

9. Logic335 macrumors newbie

How will it effect the prices of refurbished 2011? Most of them are discounted 16%-18% off and it appears the 2010 models are discounted by the same amount. Would it be safe to assume the refurbished iMacs prices won't change as much (dollar to dollar.)

For example, a base model iMac 21.5" is selling for $1200 and is discounted at 16% to $999. Hypothetically if the base model is marked down to $999 then the refurbished iMac should be marked down to $840 (assuming it is discounted by 16%.)

Currently the i3 2010 models sells at a higher price than the 2011 models (granted the 2010 model has a larger hard drive.) So maybe the refurbished prices won't change at all?

I'm in the same position as the OP. I really want to buy an iMac and I never owned an apple computer in the past. Part of me is killing me to buy it but the frugal side of me wants to wait and save a few hundred dollars.

:(

10. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Believe me, they do change. I've bought a previous gen MacBook and a mini taking advantage of this, buying shortly after new models were released. I must admit that the iMacs I've bought were all new, but I have no reason to believe the refurb pricing strategy is different. I haven't checked the case you cite, but I bet the 2010 model is the high end and the 2011 model is the entry.

I'll add that if you have a Discover Card, you can get an additional 5% discount buying going through the Discover Card website into the Apple Store. Don't buy any accessories from Apple.

11. Logic335 macrumors newbie

Here's the link:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/21

It probably is the higher end model at the time, but I can't see why it would be priced higher. I'm not the most tech savy person but it appears the newer 2011' model has a better processor and graphics card.

Hopefully the newer iMacs come out in the next few months. I need to stop spending so much time checking ebay and the likes for prices lol

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

They don't sell in stores, but Apple moves them to clearance in the online store. This is just to clear stock and as soon as stock runs out that's it.

13. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

For comparison, previous gen refurbs on MacMall seem to be running around 20-30% off. They don't have any old iMacs in stock to do a direct comparison however.

14. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Yes, the 2010 model was originally $1499, so it is 28% off. The 2011 model is $1199, so is 16% off. As to whether or not it's worth it, that's an individual decision. Usually the new entry model is equivalent in performance to the older high end model. In this case the older one does give a larger hard drive, which some people may prefer. It also runs Snow Leopard instead of Lion, which many people around here prefer. Since the current model is already long-in-the -tooth, I wouldn't go with one that is nearly 2 years old in technology. One year old is OK by me.

15. Yury macrumors newbie

It also depends on configuration. Last year, MacMall's offer for the top 27 config was around $1499 ( comparison to $2199 ). So that is ~30% off.

16. Logic335 macrumors newbie

Good to know. 25% off the current 27" base model would be great. After taxes and applecare it would be around $1500.

I guess it's best to wait. I really don't have a need for one right now. I found a guy on craigslist that wanted to sell his for $1400 which is a good deal but not a good enough considering the risks.