Will iMac G4 + Airport Extreme + Iomega Minimax = USB2 for iMac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jaunty, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Jaunty macrumors regular

I have an iMac G4 I am upgrading to put in service as a dedicated iTunes server. The main downside is it is a USB1 version so no good really for syncing iPods with.

I understand the Airport Extreme base station could connect by ethernet to the iMac. This could give it Wireless N (albeit limited by the iMac's ethernet). If I then add an Iomega Minimax USB/Firewire hub/hardrive to the USB2 of the Extreme does this give me USB2 sync speeds to the iMac or is it ultimately limited by the USB1 back in the iMac (which is what I suspect).

Here is the user manual for the Minimax

http://www.iomega.com/support/manuals/hdd2007/aiolhd07oct/en/consolidated/main.html#minimax

Any thoughts gratefully received

Cheers

2. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

No. You will will not be limited to the speed of the USB1.1 on the iMac. The drive would be network mounted meaning you are limited to the USB controller on the Express and the network controllers on both platforms.

How ever, you are stuck between 10/100mbps while USB1.1 is a maximum of 12mbps. So you may see better performance, but you may also see worse performance.

3. Jaunty thread starter macrumors regular

Many thanks.

I hadn't fully appreciated that the ethernet on my iMac G4 was actually slower than USB1.1....foiled again!

4. Jaunty thread starter macrumors regular

Just looked up the protocols, so if I figure it right I could end up with quite a bit faster syncing of iPods (ie best case 100mbps ethernet vs 12 mbps USB1.1).

Thanks for your help. :)

5. Jaunty thread starter macrumors regular

Just thought of something. If the iTunes Library is stored on a drive attached to the Airport Extreme attached to the iMac G4, will that get me USB2 syncing speeds for my iPods? :confused:

Thanks again anyone who has a view.