Will iMac get a refresh? Should I buy one now?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jerz, Mar 16, 2014.

  1. Jerz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2013
  2. keigo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2006
    #2
    intel road map will give u a hint
     
  3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

    SaSaSushi

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Takamatsu, Japan
    #3
    Not to mention the MR Buyer's Guide.
     
  4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

    Dreadnought

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2002
    Location:
    Almere, The Netherlands
  5. TweakOnline macrumors regular

    TweakOnline

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2012
    Location:
    Europe
    #5
    I think Apple will announce the next gen iMac at WWDC 2014! :D (I hope so)
     
  6. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2013
    #6
    My theory, they release an updated iMac with Thunderbolt 2, the updated Haswell and Nvidia 8xx series earlier than the fall (May - June) which builds up demand by late fall 2015 for the 4K iMac.
     
  7. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

    PatriotInvasion

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2010
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #7
    I think this is accurate, but I wouldn't be surprised if the spec bump doesn't come until the October/Fall event like last year. I agree that a 4K iMac anywhere south of $2,499 won't be coming until late 2015. Maybe sooner if they think people will actually pay a crazy price tag.
     
  8. keigo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2006
    #8
    Why still Haswell, I though should be going to Broadwell instead?
     
  9. chelch macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2012
    #9
  10. keigo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2006
    #10
    that is just rumor...and since when rumor become accuracy source? Beside if you read....

    "Regardless, for most of Apple's lineup the 2014 chip updates will be fairly minor until Broadwell is ready to go late this year or early next year."

    Apple is well know of delaying just to get the right chip which is Broadwell and I don't see why they wont wait it out...
     
  11. chelch macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2012
    #11
    There's no Broadwell until 2015. Either they wait or they do the spec bump or both. I'd still wait until the summer/fall to see if they bump it and go to the 850m which is more than worth the wait.
     
  12. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

    PatriotInvasion

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2010
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #12
    If you do anything that would tax the graphics card perhaps, but if the OP is just looking for an iMac now, the current specs are excellent.
     
  13. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2013
    Location:
    Oregon, USA
    #13
    The only thing worth waiting 6-18 months is 4k. But if you can make money now, buy now
     
  14. chelch macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2012
    #14
    The OP is wondering if they should buy now or wait for a refresh. IMO they should wait for the refresh because it's probably happening May - July and it's significant. Unless of course they're getting the base I5 with Iris Pro, which won't get bumped, so they can get one now.
     
  15. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

    PatriotInvasion

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2010
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #15
    Depends on if the OP is considering the 21.5" or if he's only looking at the 27". The base 27" comes with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M with 1GB video memory which would be more than fine for most everyone.
     
  16. chelch macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2012
    #16
    That's what you just got right? Like 3 days ago? So you're trying to justify your purchase. The 850m comes with 2Gb and is 60% more powerful than the 750m. Since there's no word on an 855m the new 27" should start with an 860m which is also 2Gb and more powerful than the 770m. I'm glad you're happy with your new iMac, I wish I had one, but I think it's better to wait for the summer refresh. It could be less than 2 months away.
     
  17. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

    PatriotInvasion

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2010
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #17
    I did indeed and spent a lot of time on these forums before I made my decision to pull the trigger. Just pointing out that unless the OP is a gamer or professional video editor, I don't think a graphics card update is worth waiting for for what is already a perfectly capable graphics card in the existing models.

    And a May or even June iMac refresh seems a little early for a machine that was just updated in late Sept. Perhaps late July into August or even in the Fall if Apple stays consistent to the typical refresh cycle for the iMac historically. Waiting until mid summer for a graphics card and clock speed boost to Haswell seems excessive IMO. That's my advice to the OP. If you feel differently than so be it.
     
  18. bushman4 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2011
    #18
    posible SSD becomes standard as well as new design.4K might have to wait for 2015
     
  19. keigo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2006
    #19
    Well it will always be the same talk..

    if you can wait then you can wait forever cause there will always be a newer better one coming out...

    If you need it now then just buy.

    iMac was release last Sept which is just coming to 6 months old or Mid cycle. And there is still a long way to go before another refresh going to take place. Base on the past history track.. which normally take 200~300 days.

    So a summer refresh chance is close to 0%.

    If you can wait then might as well wait till 2015 on the hope for 4k.
     
  20. Serban Suspended

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2013
    #20
    i think the only component ready for the imac is the gpu, Geforce 880M with 8 Gb vRAM. The cpu is not ready

    ----------

    and i don't think the first generation of 4K iMac will be flawless
     
  21. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    #21
    Quite frankly, I don't think the next iMac model is that much worth waiting for, if there are no extra suprises in store for us. AFAIK the 880M is pretty much a 780M with more vram, and it also has the same throttling issues that 780M has, with makes 880M less than ideal for overclocking. (in other words I'm still more than content with my 680MX.)
     
  22. iydkmigthtky macrumors newbie

    iydkmigthtky

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2013
    #22
    the clock speed is also significantly higher, resulting in a 10 - 15% better performance, just as the 780M is 10 - 15% more powerful than the 680MX. moreover, additional VRAM is always nice to have.
     
  23. chelch macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2012
    #23
    Agreed if you're planning on getting the 27" with the 780m, it's not worth waiting for the refresh. Not for 15%. But if you're looking at the 750m, then that's where waiting is worth it IMO.
     
  24. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2012
    #24
    I recommend waiting for the refresh because even if it turns out that you don't need those specs, the new models will prompt resellers to deeply discount the previous gen.
     
  25. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    #25

    That's right, but I've read that both 780M and 880M have serious throttling issues, making the 680MX more stable at higher overclocks (without automatically clocking down). Therefore the real difference is quite a bit lower (who games with a 680MX at default clock, that's a terrible waste of performance). This is a rather disappointing development with the X80M line IMO.
    I haven't tested those X80M cards myself, this is just from reading various reviews and forums on the Internet.
     

Share This Page