Will iMacs always be user ram upgradeable?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by yabot, Dec 16, 2013.

1. yabot macrumors regular

I dont need one yet, but WANT one.

I have the 2013 early retina macbook pro.

Will apple always allow users to upgrade with their own ram in the iMacs? Or do you see them removing this nice, money saving feature in the future...

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No one really knows what apple is planning. I do see a trend where Apple is creating computers with more and more proprietary components so I'd not be terribly surprised if they did.

3. yabot thread starter macrumors regular

I know no one knows what there planning, do you just think they'd be silly enough to alienate people away from being able to do it on their own?

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Maybe .. it's so easy for Apple to just remove that magical RAM door just like they did with 21" iMac. And it's easy money for them to do it. 16GB of RAM upgrade for $200 .. boom. It's either suck it or leave it because you're out of options either way.

All in all .. it would be a giant iPad .. on a stick. It's use and dispose kind of computer just like what Apple wants from the beginning.

5. leman macrumors 604

As long as Apple still uses DDR3, the bigger iMac will probably stay user-upgradeable. Once they move to next-gen RAM technology such as HMC, this will most likely change.