Will iMovie work with iPad when ios 4.2 is released

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by benledgebob, Sep 21, 2010.

1. benledgebob macrumors member

Ok so I was just wondering this and I could not find much online I'm pretty sure it does not work with the beta but do you think it will when it is officially released to everyone?
    I hope it does as it will be cool to edit on the big screen.

2. Torresangel88 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

no one knows exept apple

3. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

Yeah, it will work. If there is a good way to get videos onto iPad.

4. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

The problem is that you'll need to have many videos in the iPad in order to be able to create a nice movie, otherwise there's no way you can download or use other videos because it doesn't have a camera.

5. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

No. It's not a matter of OS version, but rather that Apple (like any app developer) can restrict which device can run the app. Maybe next year with iPad 2.

6. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

Good point. If it isn't released for iPad it will either be because Apple doesn't want us to have it or there is no good way of getting video clips to it (like i said before).

7. benledgebob thread starter macrumors member

Well what I would do is record with my camcorder then put it directly on the iPad with the camera connection kit. Make my video with iMovie, upload to YouTube. Then put it on pc/Mac then delete from iPad. :)

8. benledgebob thread starter macrumors member

Record on a good camcorder then import directly with the camera connection kit.

9. lozpop macrumors 6502

HD Videocamera + Camera Connection Kit + iMovie = The Perfect Mobile Video Editing Stuff

iMovie runs on the last generation iPod touch. I don't see why it shouldn't on the iPad when iOS 4 is out.

10. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

As much as I love the iPad, why would you not do all this work in imovie on the mac in the first place

11. benledgebob thread starter macrumors member

It is a very good point but what if your going somewhere,were you want/need to pack light and you fell that a MBP is to much but your need more than your iPhone. Your iPad would come in perfectly when you want to make a video on the go in a situation like this. Also it would just be cool :cool:

12. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

if were basing it on Beta 1 then no. cause itunes still wont let me copy imovie to the ipad on 4.2 beta 1

13. benledgebob thread starter macrumors member

Thanks forthe info it is good to have some confermation on the beta edition. Though I assume if apple were to release it they would upgrade the app so it would iether have a separate iPad edition or just be fully compatible with both.

14. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

My iPad works beautifully w/256mb of RAM. But I wonder if they won't allow iMovie on iPad because on iPhone 4 there's double the RAM. Video editing in HD can be a bit of a hoggy thing.

I'd kind of at least like the option to try for myself and see how well it edits rather than not be given the chance at all, though. Come on, Apple, please? :)

I have no problems getting video and photo to my iPad on the go -- it's called a Camera Connection Kit. What I still need to do is buy more photo apps for iPad though -- right now I just have iPhone versions :D

15. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

The fourth generation iPod touch with FaceTime and the camera only has 256MB RAM too. iMovie runs fine on it. Apple even said iMovie will work on the touch.

16. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

There's no excuse then... come on, Apple? What's the holdup? I'll pay $9.99 if I have to *ducks* :p

17. benledgebob thread starter macrumors member

Yh that's what I was thinking :)

18. benledgebob thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well since I posted this thread we have seen the release of ILife 11 and the GM edition of 4.2 with the public release expected in the next few weeks does anyone have any ideas whether we will see iMovie on the iPad?

19. moondad macrumors member

I'd be very interested to know how that works out for you in
    4.2!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1053112

20. scar88 macrumors member

21. captjoe06 macrumors newbie

Thank goodness for macrumors and the revelation that the new iPad may be coming out in January.

I was about to buy the current version and had been lamenting the fact that it didn't have iMovie like the current ipod touch has.

To top it off a USB port, this may make the ultimate portable blogging device for my travels.

Man o man if it's true I'm going to be one happy camper.

22. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

I don't think anyone said it would be coming out in January. There will be an announcement in January but they likely won't be available till maybe April, and that's if you're in America, May or June for Europe.
    wouldn't be able to go a day without mine, it's almost part of my right arm by now

23. klover macrumors 6502a

I predict one not-so-happy camper.

24. lozpop macrumors 6502

Still no iMovie for iPad now that we are on 4.2.
    This is just absurd, and don't tell me that "the iPad doesn't have a camera", because with my MacBook I import my videos and then use iMovie, and so I would do on the iPad -- do you remember the Camera Conncetion Kit?

If Apple will release iMovie only for the iPad — and I think they will — just because of the back-camera, it would be a shame.

25. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

I think they probably won't release iMovie for the iPad until the iPad 2 comes out. This will undoubtably have more RAM (which iMovie probably would need), plus better video recording capabilities?