Will incase ever update their neoprene sleeve?

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I bought a baggy 15" neoprene incase sleeve with the hope that I could replace it soon with an actual 15" retina sleeve. On their website they are listing the old baggy case as being for the retina...seriously?

Does anyone know if they are planning on updating, if not, can anyone recommend a sleeve that actually fits it.

kpdillon

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I bought a baggy 15" neoprene incase sleeve with the hope that I could replace it soon with an actual 15" retina sleeve. On their website they are listing the old baggy case as being for the retina...seriously?

Does anyone know if they are planning on updating, if not, can anyone recommend a sleeve that actually fits it.
I have a feeling that if they did release one there would be complaints about price...

nlkccom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
I was looking for a sleeve for a 13" MBA about a month or so ago, but all they have is sleeve for 13" MBP. Because it 'fits', they will not make a different case just for that.

Similarly, doubt they will make a Retina-specific case, because the non-Retina sleeve works with it.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I was thinking the same thing, I thought about buying incase slim sleeve, but I have heard that they just slapped on the retina label and called it retina ready as a sleeve. It's not actually designed for the thinness of the computer, just the screen size.

I did decided to buy a Mamba case, they look great and I have read throughout the threads that it fits perfectly, so I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival.

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
I was thinking the same thing, I thought about buying incase slim sleeve, but I have heard that they just slapped on the retina label and called it retina ready as a sleeve. It's not actually designed for the thinness of the computer, just the screen size.

I did decided to buy a Mamba case, they look great and I have read throughout the threads that it fits perfectly, so I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival.
its a SLIM SLEEVE

try it at the apple store

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I was looking for a sleeve for a 13" MBA about a month or so ago, but all they have is sleeve for 13" MBP. Because it 'fits', they will not make a different case just for that.
Nonono, completely wrong...they make a 13" MBA-specific sleeve; you can see it here. In fact, I have one, and I LOVE it: it fits perfectly, adds very little bulk to the Air, and I love the zipperless design with the slit on the side of the sleeve: makes it super easy and quick to take it out and put it back away.

Like the OP, I too have been waiting to see what Incase does for the rMBP because I was hoping to get a case for it that is exactly like the one I have for my Air in terms of the design and bulk. They did not have this new "slim" case available at the Apple Store the last time I visited, and the regular neoprene one looked too big, loose, and bulky, so I passed. This new design looks nicer, but the fact that it isn't rMBP-exclusive makes me nervous.

Hopefully the next time I'm at an Apple Store they'll have some of these in-stock and allow me to try putting an rMBP into one to see how well it fits.

-- Nathan

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
I can confirm the rMBP fits perfectly in the Incase Neoprene Slim Sleeve. It may not be a tight fit for the thickness of the machine, but it protects the edges of the computer completely.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I can confirm the rMBP fits perfectly in the Incase Neoprene Slim Sleeve. It may not be a tight fit for the thickness of the machine, but it protects the edges of the computer completely.
I have that sleeve and its way too loose. I want one that actually fits the machine.

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Tucano make sleeves similar to Incase's ones, and in fact I prefer them because they have a lip inside them that stops the laptop from sliding out, and prevents the zip from scratching it.

A rep told me they would be bringing out a range of retina-specific sleeves and cases 'within the next few months, certainly before the holiday season'.

zeeklancer

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
I just picked up a incase sleeve from the apple store. It said it was for the 15 in ch Macbook Pro retina. It fits snug and no slack at all.

When I went to pay for it the lady in the blue shirt was like "Whaa?, I did not know that they had that".

In any case, you might want to check your local apple store.

smurray

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
would anyone recommend a colcasac over the incase neoprene sleeve??
I used to have an incase sleeve for my old 13" mbp, and I just received a colcasac for my new 13" rMBP. While the colcasac is cooler looking and more stylish, from a protection standpoint I think you'd be better of with a neoprene sleeve. The colcasac definitely protects against scratches, but I'm not confident at all that it would protect against drops. Neoprene feels much more dense than the material the colcasac is made out of, and feels as though it would be much better at absorbing the shock of a drop.

I'm planning on returning my 13" rMBP for a 15", and I think I'll be buying an incase sleeve once I do.

wwe2008

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2008
Thanks, but once feeling the normal 15" MBP neoprene sleeve I feel like I will prefer the colcasac as the feel more safe. But does the inside scratch the MacBook Pro??

ttracer

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
Protective case.

Has anyone bought the Gumdrop DropTech Sleeve for the Macbook Pro Retina?
http://www.gumdropcases.com/drop-tech-sleeve-for-macbook-15-.html

In my opinion it looks to be the most protective Macbook sleeve on the market , even better than the Booq Vyper and Thule case.

It has built in inserts in the corners, which look like they may protect the Macbook if it is dropped.

I am tempted to buy one as a Neoprone sleeve will not offer the same amount of protection.

My only concern is that it may not fit a Macbook Retina with a shell casing , my Speck Seethru Satin for instance.

Yet to see some reviews for this case.