Will information pushed to the 'phone from Exchange sync to the mac?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alFR, Jun 25, 2008.

1. alFR macrumors 68020

As per the title: can anyone who has seen the 2.0 software confirm whether events/contacts pushed to the iPhone from an Exchange account will sync to Address Book and iCal on the Mac (and vice versa), or are the two sync operations kept completely separate?

2. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

3. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I can't see why it wouldn't the exchange push data is being put into iCal or Address Book on the iPhone into the default category there and it would most certainly have to sync back to the Mac just like any other appointment/contact that you made on the phone.

4. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

5. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I would be careful cause the sync could work both ways. Your personal stuff could end up mixed in with business stuff (assuming you are using exchange and it is for work).

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

I see where the Address Book can sync directly with Exchange, but how does iCal do that.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Another poster mentioned it already, re: mixing in your personnel contacts with the business contacts list on your work computer. We have over 18K contacts, I know I don't want those to come over to the iPhone. :D

I am hoping to have it sync just my calendar items from work. Being able to see my calendar items is big for me.

8. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Honestly, I am not sure. I was just throwing that out there. We all will find out for sure once the 2.0FW hits though.

9. steve bate macrumors member

Isn't this the benefit of using MobileMe? You can sync to all connected PC's, Macs, iPhone etc.

10. alFR thread starter macrumors 68020

Maybe: or maybe they'd set it up so that the Exchange data doesn't sync back to the Mac (maybe to avoid mixing business stuff with personal). Maybe the Exchange data goes into a calendar called Exchange and doesn't sync. I don't know, which is why I asked.

True, that's one reason I wanted to know!

It doesn't (until Snow Leopard comes, anyway): Calendar on the iPhone 2.0 can sync to Exchange, my question was whether those appointments will then sync via iTunes back to iCal on your mac, i.e.

Exchange <---> iPhone <---> iCal

True, but as my work Exchange server won't currently sync with iCal or MobileMe (except perhaps via the iPhone as mentioned above) that's not much use to me. Unless of course the PC MobileMe client will sync appointments held on an Exchange server from Outlook to MobileMe....

11. steve bate macrumors member

I thought that was exactly what would happen ie Exchange > iPhone > MobileMe > Any Mac/PC

Steve

12. alFR thread starter macrumors 68020

Hopefully - I've not been able to find anything on Apple's site confirming exactly how the various sync methods will interact though.