Will installing 4.21 clear out the virtual memory hack?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by spinedoc77, Nov 22, 2010.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'll be installing 4.21 when I get home later tonight, I currently am JB with the virtual memory hack. I think I do NOT want to use the virtual memory hack even when the 4.2 jailbreak comes out, but don't know how to uninstall it. I'm hoping simply installing 4.21 will get rid of it.

Anyone know?

2. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

The VirtualMemory "hack" is exactly that.. A hack.. And it was hacked to be used on 3.2 iOS. It's not needed for 4.2.1 and onwards now.. as it's natively turned on and being used in the OS.

So with that said, the hack is removed, but you get a final permanent VirtualMemory solution in 4.2.1.

3. xraytech macrumors 68020

I think a simple restore and update will take care of that.

4. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Yep I wasn't asking what it does, just wanted to know if installing 4.21 would completely clear it out.

5. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Of course it clears it out, whenever you do an upgrade/restore, all files are essentially removed/formatted on the iPad.

6. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Thanks.

7. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

So OS 4.2.1 actually uses virtual memory by itself--with a functioning swap file, etc...?

8. xraytech macrumors 68020

I think so...

Now we wait for all the "Isn't that a bad thing?" and the "Isn't that going to wear down the solid state memory" threads.

9. abasak macrumors newbie

I found a 64mb swapfile left on my iPad, so it's not completely wiped out after the update to 4.2.1

edit: and the com.apple.virtualMemory.plist in my preferences folder.

10. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I found this also, but didn't want to be rude to the "of course" crowd lol. I manually wiped the 2 files I added in to get VM in the first place, then reloaded 4.21. I'm actually finding 4.21 to be quite smooth, smoother than the virtual memory hack which seemed to cause a lot of freezing.

11. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I'm finding Apple's implementation of VM to be lacking/limiting... has anyone tried the hack to see if it still works?

12. iThinman macrumors regular

Has anybody tried this yet on 4.2.1? I am getting ready to soon but would like to know if it's been tried with success first.

I cannot operate without it though, that I've determined. :mad:

13. iThinman macrumors regular

yeah, so the virtual memory hack no longer works in 4.2.1 and this thing is now no longer my laptop replacement, as it has served for the better part of a year, but now is rather just basically a fancy (very limited) web browser.

that pretty much makes it a paperweight to me.

no longer recommending this product.