will installing a new hard-drive in macbook void applecare or warranty?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jordanr1186, Mar 13, 2011.

1. jordanr1186, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

jordanr1186 macrumors newbie

I have a macbook 6,1 (late 2009). I have upgraded the memory(actually through apple, before I knew there were third party suppliers), and I am thinking of upgrading the hard-drive to 500 or 750gb(something from OWC). I currently have a 320gb, but with bootcamp installed, the space goes quick. My question is; will apple void a warranty(applecare) because I installed a aftermarket hard-drive? I know they obviously wouldn't cover the hard-drive, but will they still cover the actual macbook? I know that upgrading the memory is ok as long as you properly install compatible memory and do not screw anything up in the process.

I don't know if it's ok to cram another question into one thread, but oh well here it goes.
    So basically, will any 2.5" SATA hard-drive from http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/ work? Can I install a 2.5" solid state hard drive into my macbook6,1(late 2009). As far as I know, it has a 2.5" hard-drive, and that is the standard, so It should work. Just worried about it not working, and voiding apple's warranty(applecare). thanks

2. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    No it won't void your warranty, and yes any 2.5" HDD including SSD will work.

3. jordanr1186 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I purchase the hard-drive, install into macbook. Now can I copy my hard-drive in my macbook right now w/bootcamp onto the new hard-drive somehow so that I don't have to start over fresh?

4. mehanika Guest

Oi, i called Applecare some days ago with the same question (dont have my mac yet), can confirm - nothing is voided in this process!

If you are a smart (i know you are, you are getting a SSD! ;) ), you buy a bundle. I got one from kingston, where i get a Intel (Kingston labeled) SSD, Bios-looking software, and a casing for the old harddrive.

As i wont be needing the copying-software, i would just reinstall - but as you have allready used your harddrive, you just plug the SSD into the casing, which you then plug into your mac, let the software do its magic, swap the drives over, boot on your SSD, format the old harddrive (now in the casing), and voila - A MAC with SSD, and a brand new external harddrive... :)

5. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Download Carbon Copy Cloner. If you have a external enclosure you can clone your current hard drive to the new one. Then just install it into your laptop.

6. alan111 macrumors regular

all good advice in this thread.
    it will not void your warranty, and definitely use carbon copy cloner. I use it to make my incremental backups. I like it better than time machine.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You'll want to use winclone to back up your Boot Camp partition, as Carbon Copy will not do this for you.

8. rquick macrumors regular

At 500 and 750 gb, I assume that you are talking about hard drives and not ssd's which are solid state and not yet available in 750 gb in sata format. Note that the 750gb hard drives and up are 12 mm thick and you should verify they will fit in the MacBook. They do definitely fit in the late model MacBook Pros. I assume that everybody here already knows about that and probably would have mentioned it but it is worth confirming before you order one of the big boys. But you were mixing your references to hard drives and ssds so I figured what the heck.