Will installing BootCamp mess things up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 24usedtorock, Dec 19, 2009.

1. 24usedtorock macrumors regular

I'm happy with my Mac in about a week of ownership time (15'' MBP- the top current model), and I don't want to open a can of worms by formatting XP or Vista on it.

Can I expect headaches from adding Windows, viruses, performance issues, damage to anything?

I really want to do some Windows things and play some Windows games but I want to know if risk outweighs reward, or since it'll be on a Mac, it won't be susceptible to some of the same Windows/PC pitfalls?

2. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

put a windows cd into the mac, the bootcamp assistant will pop up. make sure you have the snow leopard dvd as well.

bootcamp will handle everything, you just have to put the snow leopard dvd in for the window drivers.

3. 24usedtorock thread starter macrumors regular

How much would you suggest allocating to the partition? I have a 500gb hard drive. Ideally I just want to run modern warfare 2 and maybe some small apps on the Windows.

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

This is a question only you can answer. How much mac stuff do you plan to put on your 500GB drive? Do you have tons of music in itunes? Lots of movies you plan to rip to your drive?

If you plan to only use the windows partition for some gaming my suggestion would 50 - 60 GB. If you only want to use it for that one game then 40 GB.