Will installing iOS 5 wipe my phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by idyll, Jun 8, 2011.

1. idyll macrumors 6502

I am about to install iOS 5 on my iPhone and was just wondering if it would completely wipe my phone? I had my UDID activated as well.

Thanks

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes it will as you have to do a restore rather than an update. You can restore your latest backup afterwards though so as long as you back the phone up before restoring you should be ok.

3. graymalkin2 macrumors newbie

Yes, it will wipe the contents of you phone, so make sure that you do a backup before doing Option-Restore. You will be asked which backup you would like to restore. These step-by-step instructions may be of help.

4. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I wouldn't recommend restoring a backup. It causes various issues. I had issues with the calendar app which were all solved after doing a clean install. If you can't afford to do that, just wait till a version comes that can directly be updated from iOS 4.

5. shandyman Suspended

yea i had some slight lagging in the settings app and some battery draining issues restoring from a backup