Will installing OS X Snow Leopard erase my hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sheardude, Aug 26, 2009.

1. sheardude macrumors member

When installing Snow Leopard, will it erase my hard drive and force me to start all over or will it just update the software and keep everything the way it is on my Mac now?

2. marklindo13 macrumors newbie

marklindo13

u have the option to wipe the hardrive clean and start over, or just upgrade the software and keep all of your files

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....again I will say, if you check over in the Mac OS X forum here you will see several threads already on the different install options and what the differences are, and how to safeguard your current files....oh yeah!

4. sheardude thread starter macrumors member

Which specific ones should I look at?

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Mac OS X has always given you the option to upgrade your current system, or erase and install. I would assume 10.6 won't be any different. I would guess you've not been a Mac user long if you've never done a system install, so you're probably running 10.5 on a system thats less than 2 years old. You're probably fine to just install on top of what you've got which won't involve losing any of your files or settings.

6. dandaman2 macrumors regular

You may be assuming wrong. According to rumors, the 30$US (50$US Family pack) will NOT include erase/archive and install, only an upgrade, because $30/50 is the upgrade price. The solution is to use your leopard disk/reinstall disk to do an erase/archive+install (after backing up, of course) and then doing a standard upgrade.

7. sheardude thread starter macrumors member

That's true. I never did need to upgrade big like this. I got my first Mac in January 2008. It's an iMac with 1GB of RAM and 250GB hard drive which is all filled up already lol. I really love my Mac and love the tons of files on there as well. I love OS X so much I am planning on buying myself a 15" MacBook Pro for when I go to college next year even though it is looking to be community college lol. Still good to have a laptop specifically 4 skool.