will installing ram void my applecare

tristan123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
Montreal, QC
i just bought myself a new powerbook and i am planning on installing 1g of extra ram. i just wanted to know whether applecare will still cover my powerbook because i heard that they will only cover the computer if if you install certain types of ram. if this is true, what kind of ram is supported by applecare. thanks in advance for the help.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
tristan123 said:
i just bought myself a new powerbook and i am planning on installing 1g of extra ram. i just wanted to know whether applecare will still cover my powerbook because i heard that they will only cover the computer if if you install certain types of ram. if this is true, what kind of ram is supported by applecare. thanks in advance for the help.
Applecare will only cover the RAM you got from Apple with the original machine order. Apple will not guarantee any extra RAM that you install.

If you install extra RAM, that RAM will be covered by the RAM v endor's warranty, which is usually lifetime. It will not void your Applecare (unless you do something to damage your machine of course). I would recommend however to remove your additional RAM prior to sending or taking the machine to Apple for any warranty work.

I recommend that you choose a reputable RAM vendor who tests and guarantees compatibility with your specific model of Mac.