Will installing Snow Leopard delete all files from my computer?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cdhfootball, Sep 26, 2009.

1. cdhfootball macrumors member

I just bought snow leopard. if i install it on my current macbook (leopard), will it delete all my music, pics, etc.?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. However, it's always a good idea to backup files before doing anything significant to your system.

3. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

There is a way to do a clean install, and so unless you choose upgrade then a clean install would remove everything

4. Mew2468 macrumors regular

No, your data will still be there. Backing up just in case is always a good idea, though.

5. devburke Guest

“Clean install” is not an option any more. It can still be done, but you have to open Disk Utility, select your HD and click “Erase”.

In other words, you won’t accidentally erase all your files. But if you’d like to, you can go out of your way to do it.

6. siddharthseth macrumors newbie

Hi. Sorry if I'm reviving a dead thread...

Is there a way to actually upgrade while maintaining application-specific settings and corresponding libraries for all applications? For eg. If I upgrade and install Snow Leopard, will my current Itunes or Garageband library be affected?

My Macbook Pro had Snow Leopard as the factory OS. Due to a boot problem, I had to re-install the OS and unfortunately the Apple Store had goofed up and given me the OS 10.5 DVD.

Now the problem is that I have some applications that are installed partially or are "shut down unexpectedly" such as "Pages" etc. Is there a way to rectify it?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the first two posts in this thread for your answer.

8. siddharthseth macrumors newbie

I sure did. Sorry to sound like a bit of a wrangler.. but please read what I said^ I asked something specific. Your post was of a general nature. Thanks for the info though.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's a direct answer to your question. You asked the same thing that the OP asked: would your user data be affected if you upgraded to/installed SL? The answer applies to both of you.

10. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

hey, just saw this thread and had a quick question.

It still won't wipe even though I'm installing from the Snow Leopard disc and not from the app store, right?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it won't. Snow Leopard is not available from the Mac App Store. It is only available on disc.