Will Intel's Drive Adapter Fit in my iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dmw16, Nov 17, 2012.

1. dmw16 macrumors regular

I am planning on swapping out my 1TB internal 3.5" drive in my 27" Mid-2011 iMac for an Intel SSD. I don't really want to give up my optical drive at this point.

So my question is, will the adapter that comes with the drive (namely this one http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Series-Solid-State-Drive-2-5-Inch/dp/B006VCP9G6) fit inside my iMac?

Bonus question, what is the solution to the fan speed thing with SSD's?

2. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

It'll fit. You'll need to remove the mounting hardware from the 3.5" disk and attach it to the Intel bracket. Then youll have to mount the SSD to the backet. Looking at the computer with the screen removed, once everything is mounted correctly, you'll be looking at the back of the Intel bracket and will not be seeing the SSD (if this makes sense, best way I could attempt to word what it looks like and how it should be mounted). I did this before on a 2010 27" but back then an 80gb x2 Intel SSD was all my budget would allow! :)

As for the HD temp sensor in the 2011 models, I'm not sure.

3. kgian macrumors regular

If you don't want to have fan problems you don't touch your original hard drive. You have to connect the SSD to the spare SATA port that is on the backside of the logic board. You can check the owc video regarding the installation. It seems hard, but I did it on my 2011 21.5. It is not very easy but the video is excellent.

If you do replace the original hard drive you will have to use software to control your fan speed.

4. dmw16 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help.

I'm going to just use software to slow the fan down. No biggie.

As for the bracket I bought the OWC one because I opted for the Samsung 830 drive.

5. kgian macrumors regular

Take note that if you do this the apple hardware test will fail. No big problem as if you need AppleCare you can just switch back to the old drive and run the test.

Also I don't know what happens in windows if you bootcamp.

6. dmw16 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm out of warranty anyway and I was going to install windows using parallels so its all good :)

7. kgian macrumors regular

8. dmw16 thread starter macrumors regular

I ended up buying the Samsung 830. So I picked up the OWC 2.5 to 3.5 adapter.