Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
I am seriously thinking of upgrading my late 2008 MacBook (still going strong after all these years) with an Intel SSD, specifically the recently released 320 series with 3 Gbps spec. Has anyone used this model with the 1st Gen Unibody on Lion OS X? Thanks for any feedback !

2iqefcj.jpg

thegod35

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011
Zürich, Switzerland
Depends On your MacBook

Are aou using a Unibody MacBook from late 2008? If so, it should be perfectly compatible. I use a 13'' MacBook Unibody Aluminium but with the 2.4ghz c2d. I was told by the guy at the genius bar that it will work

Hope this clears it up for you ;)

Montymitch

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
Yep!
I'm running that drive right now, 120gb, and can verify that it truly rips.
BUT
A word of caution: I ran the trim enabler for 10.6.8 after upgrading to 10.7 and even though I can't verify it, I think it was responsible for the early death of my first drive which was thankfully replaced by Bestbuy. That drive was the same 320 that I'm using now, but it died in a week with trim enabled. I have been on this one for a few weeks now and have had zero problems.

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
I just installed the one as well!

I updated the firmware on the bug fix I think the poster above me experienced where it showed only 8GB.

I plugged in the unformatted ssd into the sata port, and booted up from the ISO burned onto a CDR and updated the firmware. (can't do it via usb plugged in SSD)

I carbon cloned it and trim enabled. Feeling great so far with the 8GB ram i upgraded a week ago!

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
I just installed the one as well!

I updated the firmware on the bug fix I think the poster above me experienced where it showed only 8GB.

I plugged in the unformatted ssd into the sata port, and booted up from the ISO burned onto a CDR and updated the firmware. (can't do it via usb plugged in SSD)

I carbon cloned it and trim enabled. Feeling great so far with the 8GB ram i upgraded a week ago!

I got Lion OS on USB stick (DiY, NOT from Apple Store). You are saying this will not work on Intel 320 SSD?

Montymitch

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
I got Lion OS on USB stick (DiY, NOT from Apple Store). You are saying this will not work on Intel 320 SSD?

I made a USB key with lion, physically installed the drive in my macbook, formatted the SSD booting from my Snow Leopard disk, then ran the USB key install. It's been going strong so far without any problems.
I think the other poster was talking about mounting the SSD drive via USB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.