Will iOS 5 Feature Turn by Turn Voice navigation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by onthecouchagain, Sep 22, 2011.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I'm a bit unclear after googling it.... can any of the early iOS5 adopters chime in? Is there going to be turn by turn voice nav implemented in iOS 5? All I can conjure up is that Apple bought the company Siri.

2. shandyman Suspended

Well it's not in the beta's. so unless it's secretly on an internal only beta and appears in either GM or Final Release, it's not gonna happen this time round.

3. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

4. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Details ?

5. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

This is the biggest thing I miss from going from droid incredible to ip4. the navigation of the iPhone is severely lacking compared to the incredible.

6. kdog005 macrumors member

I use VZ Navigator. Granted it's 5$/mo. but it's pretty great

7. f00f macrumors 65816

The iOS betas up to and including the current beta 7 do not include any turn-by-turn nav functionality -- just the same ol' crappy maps app.

However these betas don't necessarily include all features that the final GM build of iOS 5 will have -- i.e. improved speech recognition (speed-to-text similar to Android). So who knows, maybe there will be a decent free nav app in the final build. :)

8. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

The lack of this feature is one reason I can't get behind the Maps app. It's not that it's a bad application, but when I'm driving, I can't keep looking down at the phone to see what's next. So I use Navigon, which works great.

9. scotsmith0718 macrumors newbie

Mapquest

There is a free MapQuest app that does a pretty decent job. I haven't used it a lot and I am sure there are paid apps with more features that are better. But in my limited experience it works well for a free app.

10. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Papago dies this today, as do a number of other Apps. This will not be a free service as part of iOS. There are plenty of paid apps in the store with this capability.

-t

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

12. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

The best one is Motion-X GPS Drive. It's $20 a year.

13. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I look at the built-in maps app as a "technology demonstrator", but the available apps are so much better that I have relegated Maps to my third-page Ignore folder.

I used MotionX GPS Drive for a long time, but when Garmin came out with their app that works just like a Nuvi and has all the maps built-in (so no data connection needed on long trips, and doesn't chew up your data plan) I jumped on that & love it.

14. zipster macrumors 6502

The free Mapquest Turn-by-Turn app is a little wonky, but good for a free app.

15. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I am using Garmin Street Pilot.

It is only 7.2 MB since it updates maps everytime you open the app.

Some people don't like that it uses data while updating maps "on-the-fly", but truthfully, the maps are cached in case you are driving through a no-data area so it really has never influenced my data usage.

That said, I don't use it a whole hell of a lot.

I think the nicest part is the free map updates though. Over $100 for a proprietary Garmin GPS and you have to buy the map packs every year for another $100. This app is the same GPS with free map updates for $40. What a steal!

----------

The garmin app doesn't have built in maps. It updates on the fly. Unless you think that the maps are stored in even with the app only being about 10 MB... :D