Will iOS 5 have voice to SMS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dfielder, Mar 25, 2011.

1. dfielder macrumors newbie

With all of the advancements in technology, and the availability on other phones (Android), Apple is still way behind the curve with their SMS app.

There are no reliable voice to SMS apps (that I can find) and any that are out there don't work with the native app.

Safety is a huge issue for me, and I would love to be able to create/reply to SMS messages via voice rather than having to type a message when I'm stopped.

So does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not Apple will include this functionality in the next release of iOS? If not, are there any good apps that I'm missing?

Thanks!
    Doug

2. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

3. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

umm...dragon dictation. its the best voice to speech software out there, costs over a hundred dollars for pc, and, last I checked, is free on the iPhone. You launch the app, hit record, say what you want to text, then hit share and choose SMS. Thanks to iOS 4 and in app sms, it will send it as an SMS straight from the app itself...you just have to address it to who you want. very easy, and works well

4. lsvtecjohn3, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Apple did buy Siri. I think they'll use their voice technology and integrate it into iOS 5

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I doubt it. If you need to speech to text message, you probably shouldn't be texting in the first place.

6. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Obviously you haven't tried it on an Android phone. I'll take my iPhone over any other phone any day of the week, but this is one of the features that Android does way better than the iPhone.

7. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

8. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

What does or doesn't it do on an android phone?

9. dfielder thread starter macrumors newbie

If I recall (only used it once), it's built-in to the SMS app, and you just press a voice button on screen, then talk into the phone, and it converts to text. Then you just hit send.

10. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

You realized what you just said right? To get this to work.. You have to unlock your phone, find the app, open the app, hit the record button, say what you want, and then hit share, then tap on SMS, and then choose who you want the message to go to. About 8-9 steps. I could probably have taken out my phone and sent a normal text message in that process. When you're driving (Even though you shouldn't be texting and driving) it's impossible to do all that. They need to add a voice command where you simply say "Text - Name - Message" How easy is that? Beats dragon dictionary ANY DAY. Now will Apple implement this? Probably not. But it's always nice to hope.

11. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Cut the crap out and keep your eyes on the road. Texting and driving is illegal in many places anyway. :mad:

13. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Not true. Holding your device and texting/calling is illegal. No law states that a voice command texting feature is illegal. (At least here in Canada)

14. dfielder thread starter macrumors newbie

My point exactly! While it may work, it's certainly something that you're not going to do while driving. If I could just click on a text message, and click on the voice button to reply, that would be awesome.

It's got to be built-in functionality for SMS (or any keyboard app) in iOS.

Here's an example of how it works on a Droid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfy73uV3xlU

15. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

16. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

no, because then we're gonna hear people bitching to Apple that their iPhone doesn't understand them.

solution: lose the accent :eek:

17. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I've found my droid doesn't understand redneck too well. I think google needs to hire more people from the deep south.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

18. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Or you know.. You could lose the accent. This way Google wouldn't have to pay anyone anymore money. I think they would like this option a lot more. :p

19. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

LOL for what ever reason and don't get me wrong I would love that ability and I do have dragon dictation I keep thinking why not just call ? I mean when did calling become so annoying ?

20. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Calling has become expensive. Not many people have day time minutes on their phone or any minutes for that matter. And they just have a cheap texting plan. It's cheaper than a voice plan. And why would you want to waste minutes out of say your 100 to hear "Hey what's up how are you"

21. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I bet they would, lol. I could even go to other parts of the country and others wouldn't automatically think I was dumb. The voice control on my wifes iphone seems to handle my accent better.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

22. dfielder thread starter macrumors newbie

Still might be in there???

No mention of voice to text for SMS but one of the bullet points on the IOS 5 slide said "option to speak text selection"

How long before we find out more about these extra IOS 5 features that weren't discussed today?

23. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I'm more than positive that it will be included. They bought the company, and I just don't see why they wouldn't implement it. Only 10 of the new 200 features were covered.

24. dfielder thread starter macrumors newbie

iApples,

I hope you're right. I haven't seen any mention of it yet...