Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Will it just KNOW that they are iphones, or do you have to manually tell it that the person you're talking to has an iphone?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Are you talking about when you add a new contact? It won't know.. you can't determine someone's phone model from their phone number, unless they were to exchange data.

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
You have to say out loud while dialing that person: call iPhone, that will do it.
:D

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Maybe you all aren't sure what I mean.

with iMessage, there are special text features if you are talking to another iphone. Will your iphone know the person you are talking to is using an iphone?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007

with iMessage, there are special text features if you are talking to another iphone. Will your iphone know the person you are talking to is using an iphone?

Yes, it will know.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
I've noticed a lot additions to iOS lately, that simply wouldn't have occurred if the iPhone was still tied to one carrier in the US.
I'm sure AT&T had a lot to with holding certain features, back, but once Verizon came on board, Apple effectively are saying "It our way, or you can choose to not have the iPhone on your network."
There's no way in hell, that AT&T would've allowed iMessage to happen, a year ago.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK

it checks when you enter the number if the recipient is an iPhone with iMessage before it sends and will auto change to iMessage when the phone responds it is

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.