iPhone Will iOS 7 final perform good as iOS 6.1.3 on iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by anirbansarkar, Jun 30, 2013.

1. anirbansarkar macrumors newbie

will iOS 7 final edition perform good as iOS 6.1.3 on iPhone 4? Still its beta though. people, please answer what do you think? will we able to set panorama lock screen wallpaper on iPhone 4? [/B]

2. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I doubt it. iOS 6 was slow on the 3gs. Time to upgrade.

3. Damolee macrumors 6502

Minus the parallex stuff, it seems to me like there is actually less to be rendered. It "should" actually run better than iOS 6.

4. TK42 macrumors newbie

Maybe it could, but iOS 7 seems to be a memory hog. I know it's a beta currently. Apple will sort it out, it may not be as iOS 4 but it sure will work.

5. Quercus Alba macrumors member

6. Jeffrey Jeff macrumors member

no, and i hope not.

by still optimizing software for the iPhone 4, they are holding back their development of the OS.

7. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

No, apple is a company that wants money, to get money people must upgrade phones, if the phone performs good and smooth the person won't want to update, if it starts lagging and slowing down it lets the person know its time to upgrade to a newer device, that's how any company that wants money works.

8. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Are you suggesting that there are companies out there that don't want money? :confused:...

9. pappus macrumors newbie

I hope it will. Otherwise,i'll stick with 6.1.3. on my iphone 4. No worries...

10. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Non profit organization

11. maccompatible macrumors 6502

Not true. Many, if not most, non-profit organizations do want money. They just don't keep it for themselves as gain.

12. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

Don't necessarily agree. Obsolescence is an unfortunate side-effect of technological advancment. Honestly, if my phone isn't completely obsolete in 4/5 years, then Apple is doing something horribly wrong.

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

That is such an unfair statement when the competition doesn't even provide software updates for phones more than 6 months old. (Yes Samsung, I'm talking about you...how many of your older phones run the latest Android?) At least Apple goes as far back as 4 years on their models.

14. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

I kinda agree with this but kinda not, look at the galaxy s2 it's over 2 years now and just go the jellybean update last month, the nexus line also gets updates for around 2 years. I think there is no point to update any phone after 2 years because most people upgrade their phones. Also android requires alot faster hardware to run it smoothly, so that's why phones usually get left out from updates.

15. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Who knows.

I suspect iOS 7.0 may not perform as well as it should but by iOS 7.1 it'll be better.

At the moment we're on Beta 2 so the code is far from optimised.

16. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

17. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

They are a company AND they want money? what is the world coming to?

With Apple at least you know you get at least 3 years of updates (3 OSs) for your device, other manufacturers you are lucky if you get 1

18. Belazor macrumors member

Belazor

Beta 1 was unusable for me on my i4 (iPhone3,1) but Beta 2 is stable and performs well enough that I find it usable.

Is it as smooth as iOS 6? Not by any stretch.
    Is it smoother than Beta 1? By a much bigger margin than the difference between B2 and iOS 6.

That being said, on my iPad 2 (iPad2,2) - save for some actual bugs - it's exactly as smooth as iOS 6.

As a freshly baptised Android convert (bought my i4 on eBay shortly after the i5 was released), I know first hand what the other posters are talking about - they're hardly exaggerating (though it varies by manufacturer just how many months behind the latest version they are).

I also know that other manufacturers will sometimes push out a version the hardware can't handle, or hold back a version because they perceive the hardware can't handle it (when in fact it's just poorly optimised code, as evidenced by kernel tweaks via custom ROMs).

I have no doubt in my mind that iOS 7 Final will perform as smoothly on all supported devices as previous versions. If the original set of features (like Parallax, which doesn't appear to work on i4 or iPad 2 at the time of writing) they intended to support end up lagging the phone due to aged hardware, they will simply disable them (as they should).

One truth that people who condemn iOS7's performance seems to have forgotten; Beta is beta.
    Apple appears to be a company that uses Beta periods to test their software and collect diagnostics reports (you do have those turned on, right? ;)) rather than as a marketing tool.
    This is hardly a bad thing :)

19. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

It will obviously run as smoothly as possible however if your asking if it will include features previously omitted from the iPhone 4 then no it won't have them. This is more than likely the last iOS upgrade the iPhone 4 will have though. So you are not far away from needing to upgrade if you want future features and iOS's.

20. mainer4101 macrumors member

Yeah, usually if a feature is excluded from a particular phone model, it's because the phones processing power can't handle the task they created. As they make iOS more advanced, it requires more advanced hardware, and that comes with upgraded phone models. The iOS technology just develops at a faster pace than the hardware, so you're stuck with a phone that can't do what its successor can. It's not entirely a money making thing.