Will iOS 8.3 be workable for iPad 3?

AlexMaximus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Hi Folks,

I still have my trusty iPad 3 and I am very happy with it so far. I have 7.1.2 on it and it works good for me. I have been reluctant to install the iOS 8 so far.

However, I would love to know if you would install the newest iOS 8.3, once it hits the street. Should I do it and risk to slow my iPad3 down significantly, or do you think the benefits outweigh the risk ??

I am sure curious, what other fellow iPad3 owners may advise me..

:apple:

iPhone20

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2014
iOS 8.2 beta 3 works perfectly for me on 4S. :) I know Apple will make it to 7.1 level by 1 or 2 beta. And 8.3 will be much much better. Though i think iPad iOS needs some more work than iPhones. But by 8.3 it will run great on iPad 3. :)

Defender2010

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2010
England
Hi Folks,

I still have my trusty iPad 3 and I am very happy with it so far. I have 7.1.2 on it and it works good for me. I have been reluctant to install the iOS 8 so far.

However, I would love to know if you would install the newest iOS 8.3, once it hits the street. Should I do it and risk to slow my iPad3 down significantly, or do you think the benefits outweigh the risk ??

I am sure curious, what other fellow iPad3 owners may advise me..

Well, if 8.2 beta is available for iPad 3 now then it's almost certain 8.3 will to. (given that there is a 8.3 coming - as only Macrumors have mentioned it, as some Apple employees must have been visiting the site using it)

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Unless there's some improvements you simply must have, I wouldn't bet on it. The iPad 3 got retinized too early for the specs to follow. It was underpowered from the beginning and I'm amazed to see some people stick to it for this long.

marvz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Well, if 8.2 beta is available for iPad 3 now then it's almost certain 8.3 will to. (given that there is a 8.3 coming - as only Macrumors have mentioned it, as some Apple employees must have been visiting the site using it)
Of course it will. If the 8.0 release was available every following 8.x.x release will be.

Anyway, he wasn't asking about availability - 8.3, or if you meant 8.1.3 since 8.3 isn't released anytime soon, will not make iOS 8 much better on older devices.

Defender2010

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2010
England
Of course it will. If the 8.0 release was available every following 8.x.x release will be.

Anyway, he wasn't asking about availability - 8.3, or if you meant 8.1.3 since 8.3 isn't released anytime soon, will not make iOS 8 much better on older devices.
I think he meant 8.1.3 - there is no news on 8.3 yet apart from what I said. 8.1.3 will be bug fixes so u cannot say how good or bad it will be on iPad 3 or other A5 based devices.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Well, I have iOS 8.1.2 on my iPad 3 and it works fine, it's just slow at loading or switching Apps. Once your App. is loaded, it runs just fine.

The slowness did aggravate me so I don't really use it anymore, I use my iPad Air 2.

If I had it to do over again, I would have left it on iOS 7.x.x. It was much snappier.

sbailey4

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2011
USA
And 8.3 will be much much better. Though i think iPad iOS needs some more work than iPhones. But by 8.3 it will run great on iPad 3. :)

Oh will it now. What else with 8.3 have in it? When will it be available? How is the testing going so far? Will it double the battery life? Looking forward to it!

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Oh will it now. What else with 8.3 have in it?
It will include software improvements, bug fixes, and an iPad split screen feature.
When will it be available?
It will be released alongside the iPad pro, late in 2Q15.
How is the testing going so far?
Apple has been testing it for a while.
Will it double the battery life?
This remains to be seen, but an increase of that magnitude seems highly unlikely.
Looking forward to it!
So am I.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
It will include software improvements, bug fixes, and an iPad split screen feature.

This remains to be seen, but an increase of that magnitude seems highly unlikely.

So am I.
The iPad Pro will likely launch in the fall with iOS 9 and split screen apps. With iOS 8.2 still more than a month from release and iOS 9 likely beginning testing in June, I doubt 8.3 will ever see the light of day.

sbailey4

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2011
USA

So am I.
lol so "Web server analytics indicate Apple is currently actively testing iOS 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3." is your evidence of all those points? Or do you have other supporting evidence to those bullet points?

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
The iPad Pro will likely launch in the fall with iOS 9 and split screen apps. With iOS 8.2 still more than a month from release and iOS 9 likely beginning testing in June, I doubt 8.3 will ever see the light of day.
lol so "Web server analytics indicate Apple is currently actively testing iOS 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3." is your evidence of all those points? Or do you have other supporting evidence to those bullet points?
You may be right, looks like iOS 8.3 testing has declined. iOS 8.3 features may be merged with iOS 9.

An iOS 8.3 update that was also observed in testing months ago has declined in activity according to our web logs, with visits from devices running it having peaked in late November and not rebounding significantly in the new year following the holiday lull.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68030
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Not necessarily. iPhone 3G was supported through 4.2.1 (the final version of the 4.2 update) while the final version of iOS 4 released was 4.3.4 (4.3.5 on iPad 2 and 4.2.7 on CDMA iPhone 4).

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
The slowness did aggravate me so I don't really use it anymore

If I had it to do over again, I would have left it on iOS 7.x.x. It was much snappier.
I agree with that. Don't get me wrong, my iPad 3 still works on iOS 8, but it is very very slow compared to what it used to be like. I wish I had left it on iOS 7, or had the option to downgrade.

Upgrading to iOS8 has changed a device which was creaking at the seams only slightly, to one which is now very much approaching the end of its life.

I guess I'm just going to have to go out and buy a newer device when I have a little spare cash, which I guess is the whole point of planned obsolescence.

iRoRo

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
UK
Can someone tell me who will win the 2018 world cup and how much I should wager on it? :rolleyes:

OP has not replied to clarify whether it is in fact 8.1.3 or 8.3 :D

AlexMaximus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base

Can someone tell me who will win the 2018 world cup and how much I should wager on it? :rolleyes:

OP has not replied to clarify whether it is in fact 8.1.3 or 8.3 :D
Thank you very much, and to everyone that replied with his/her experience with iOS 8 on iPad3. I indeed did mean 8.1.3.

For time being, I decided to leave it on 7.1.2. because I did not experience any negative situations on the old iOS7. I could not find any tangible features that would justify an upgrade.
However on the long run, iOS8 it would lengthen the live cycle for this device for a significant margin, which is the motivation for this thread.

Update:
Since Apple released the iOS 8.1.3 today, did anybody experience any performance improvements on his iPad3 compared to older versions of the iOS8 versions ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.