Will iOS 8 see the kind of "under the hood" improvements that Mavericks saw?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by MartinAppleGuy, Oct 29, 2013.

1. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

So do you think iOS 8 will see perfromance improvements/battery improvements like OSX Mavericks saw? Things like compressing RAM, less power consumption, lower RAM/CPU footprint and so on? I'd guess if they were to do that, all devices compatible with iOS 7 would be compatible with iOS 8.

Ps- sorry about the location of the thread, as there is no iOS 8 section :)

2. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

No, because noone will buy newest iPhones while old one is super fast

3. syd430 Guest

Yep, same reason they won't do this for OS X - no one will buy new MacBooks.

Oh wait...

4. kolax macrumors G3

5. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

You are right it does, shame people don't pay enough attention to keynotes. A lot of the same technologies leading to better battery performance tht are in Mavericks have already been made a part of iOS 7

6. The Phazer macrumors 68030

There are a lot more obvious functionality wins in iOS for Apple to focus on than OSX.

7. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

But not all. What I want is the ram compression. That is BA!

8. lovewd macrumors 6502

lovewd

I don't understand why you think we would have to wait for iOS 8 for these improvements when ios 7 is only a little over a month old. They could incorporate under the hood changes in iOS 7 updates like iOS 7.1

9. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I would hope ios has z ram suppprt considering linux and android have had it for years now.

10. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

You are 100% right. It is just apple would like to make a big deal out of it (as 1Gb ofRAM devices would have around 1.5Gb...) so I expect iOS 8 to have it. Plus it makes them look good when all devices that have iOS 7 could get iOS 8 with more features.

11. treichert macrumors 6502

As far as some crash logs tell me, compression seems to already be in there, it's just not used as of now.

12. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Really? Can you show a pic? Pretty please #

13. treichert macrumors 6502

Apparently on an iPhone 5S compression is actually used. You can see in the middle of the screenshot "compressor size", "Compressions", "Decompressions" and so on.

These areas simply said "0" n my old 4S.

Attached Files:

• Foto.PNG
      Foto.PNG
      File size:
      170.1 KB
      Views:
  14. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Hmm interesting. I would check my 5 but I recently set it up as new and don't have any low memory logs. Could be exclusive to 64bit.

15. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Don't forget, they will probably release a redesigned iPhone next year. That will be the main focus.

So yes, I think under-the-hood progress for iOS 8 is likely.

16. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I was more under the impression Mavericks was just getting technologies Apple learned optimizing for iOS devices.

17. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

You would be mostly correct

18. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

It will probably be focused on refining the iOS 7 design, while adding a few new features like quick reply (after it was on Mavericks, I don't see why it won't be on iOS).

But yes, I do think that they will optimize it for battery life and improve the speed. I think that the "planned obsolescence" argument is bollocks. New software was built with new devices in mind.

19. vista980622 macrumors 6502

According to many jailbreak developers, even iPhone 4 supports Memory Compression on iOS 7. (Actually iPhone 4 will be unusable without it on iOS 7)

All devices running iOS 7 share (basically) the same under-the-hood technologies with OS X 10.9...

20. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

It's harder to identify performance improvements on iOS because devices get faster chips each iteration and people upgrade their devices every one or two years. Under the hood improvements are important for OS X because people don't buy new Macs as frequently as iOS devices.

21. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

I hope ios 8 brings multiple accounts for login and more splitscreen with more apps than one on the screen.

22. JulianL macrumors 65816

I hope so, and I hope they make it a high priority. In most cases optimizing for battery life and improving speed is the same thing since the way to do both is to try and squeeze out every unnecessary CPU cycle from the code by improving algorithms and careful coding and compiler optimization. Of course they're doing that already but there are always additional optimisations that can be made or individual algorithms that can be completely rewritten to be more CPU efficient.

I'm inclined to agree. Part of that squeezing out of every unnecessary CPU cycle is to make use of instruction set extensions in more recent SoCs wherever possible to do the same thing with fewer CPU cycles vs how it had to be done before with older instruction mixes that resulted in more CPU cycles being used.

iOS 7 is fast enough for me, it's battery life that I really care about.