Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
So do you think iOS 8 will see perfromance improvements/battery improvements like OSX Mavericks saw? Things like compressing RAM, less power consumption, lower RAM/CPU footprint and so on? I'd guess if they were to do that, all devices compatible with iOS 7 would be compatible with iOS 8.

Ps- sorry about the location of the thread, as there is no iOS 8 section :)

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
I'm sure iOS 7 has a lot of that already.

You are right it does, shame people don't pay enough attention to keynotes. A lot of the same technologies leading to better battery performance tht are in Mavericks have already been made a part of iOS 7

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
You are right it does, shame people don't pay enough attention to keynotes. A lot of the same technologies leading to better battery performance tht are in Mavericks have already been made a part of iOS 7

But not all. What I want is the ram compression. That is BA!

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2013
I don't understand why you think we would have to wait for iOS 8 for these improvements when ios 7 is only a little over a month old. They could incorporate under the hood changes in iOS 7 updates like iOS 7.1

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
I don't understand why you think we would have to wait for iOS 8 for these improvements when ios 7 is only a little over a month old. They could incorporate under the hood changes in iOS 7 updates like iOS 7.1

You are 100% right. It is just apple would like to make a big deal out of it (as 1Gb ofRAM devices would have around 1.5Gb...) so I expect iOS 8 to have it. Plus it makes them look good when all devices that have iOS 7 could get iOS 8 with more features.

treichert

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Aachen, Germany
Really? Can you show a pic? Pretty please #

Apparently on an iPhone 5S compression is actually used. You can see in the middle of the screenshot "compressor size", "Compressions", "Decompressions" and so on.

These areas simply said "0" n my old 4S.

Attachments

• Foto.PNG
    Foto.PNG
    170.1 KB · Views: 368

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
Apparently on an iPhone 5S compression is actually used. You can see in the middle of the screenshot "compressor size", "Compressions", "Decompressions" and so on.

These areas simply said "0" n my old 4S.

Hmm interesting. I would check my 5 but I recently set it up as new and don't have any low memory logs. Could be exclusive to 64bit.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Don't forget, they will probably release a redesigned iPhone next year. That will be the main focus.

So yes, I think under-the-hood progress for iOS 8 is likely.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
So do you think iOS 8 will see perfromance improvements/battery improvements like OSX Mavericks saw? Things like compressing RAM, less power consumption, lower RAM/CPU footprint and so on? I'd guess if they were to do that, all devices compatible with iOS 7 would be compatible with iOS 8.

I was more under the impression Mavericks was just getting technologies Apple learned optimizing for iOS devices.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
It will probably be focused on refining the iOS 7 design, while adding a few new features like quick reply (after it was on Mavericks, I don't see why it won't be on iOS).

But yes, I do think that they will optimize it for battery life and improve the speed. I think that the "planned obsolescence" argument is bollocks. New software was built with new devices in mind.

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012

According to many jailbreak developers, even iPhone 4 supports Memory Compression on iOS 7. (Actually iPhone 4 will be unusable without it on iOS 7)

All devices running iOS 7 share (basically) the same under-the-hood technologies with OS X 10.9...

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
It's harder to identify performance improvements on iOS because devices get faster chips each iteration and people upgrade their devices every one or two years. Under the hood improvements are important for OS X because people don't buy new Macs as frequently as iOS devices.

JulianL

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
But yes, I do think that they will optimize it for battery life and improve the speed.
I hope so, and I hope they make it a high priority. In most cases optimizing for battery life and improving speed is the same thing since the way to do both is to try and squeeze out every unnecessary CPU cycle from the code by improving algorithms and careful coding and compiler optimization. Of course they're doing that already but there are always additional optimisations that can be made or individual algorithms that can be completely rewritten to be more CPU efficient.

I think that the "planned obsolescence" argument is bollocks. New software was built with new devices in mind.
I'm inclined to agree. Part of that squeezing out of every unnecessary CPU cycle is to make use of instruction set extensions in more recent SoCs wherever possible to do the same thing with fewer CPU cycles vs how it had to be done before with older instruction mixes that resulted in more CPU cycles being used.

iOS 7 is fast enough for me, it's battery life that I really care about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.