Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I sure many ppl will benefit from fully customized Control Canter (like Flip Control Center in Jailbreak), if not, at list they should add few more options\buttons like Cellular Data on\off, Location on\off and setting quick link…

Don’t know what was the priority for them to put ‘Orientation Lock’ (don’t know one person using this option) instead of lets say Cellular Data or Location on\off…

Many ppl wondering why you should turn off these options when you dont use them, well, if you using prepaid cards or contract with limited data plan, this will help you saving your credit and data, as well as while roaming, plus by closing unused antennas, you also saving a bit of battery.

Reactions: mattoligy

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
Yeah there are a few more options I wish were available in control center. The on/off switch for LTE comes to mind. As do other essentials such as maps and weather. I wish Apple could've taken a cue from the Launcher widget app that gives quick access to select apps from the notification center and incorporated something similar into control center.

I see one of two options:

Either let users choose 4-5 apps that they can place shortcuts for in the control center

OR

Allow for more shortcuts to apps than that in the control center, and have a "slide over" feature whereby the user can just slide the row of shortcuts over to the left or right and have access to more shortcuts.

IMO this would be easier and more efficient than navigating through the settings app for things. One of the things I was hoping Apple would visit in iOS 9 is the settings app itself. It can seriously be a chore trying to find things in there simply because things are all over the place.

Who knows though, maybe in a not-too-distant beta Apple will tinker with the control center a bit.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 9 features have already been announced and seen in a beta release, so it's extremely unlikely something like this will show up at this point. Maybe as a point update to iOS 9, but even that's a stretch I'd say.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
iOS 9 features have already been announced and seen in a beta release, so it's extremely unlikely something like this will show up at this point. Maybe as a point update to iOS 9, but even that's a stretch I'd say.

Not to say that this will or will not happen, but the redesigned Control Center for iOS 8 didn't show up until beta 3 or 4, if I recall correctly. Apple always holds some stuff back—either because it's not ready or because they want to keep pumping new features into the beta to keep the brand simmering in the news between June and September.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I just want to be able to pull up the notification center, hold down on wifi for example, and it take me to wifi settings. Android style i guess.

Or just have a pop-over window when you tap and hold the Wi-Fi button that lets you select a Wi-Fi network (without ripping up out of the current app into Settings).

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
For me, I use apps constantly require landscape mode while some of them would rotate to the right side (I assume speaker close to the right hand is the right side), and others would rotate to the left. Leaving that switch there could be relatively easy for me to centralise rotate behaviour when using those apps.
For cellular data, my advise is if you don't want to waste your cellular plan, turn cellular data off, completely. And when you need it, turn it on. I agree if we have this switch, this could be better.
Have anyone noticed when using this beta iOS 9, settings left switch behaviour becomes a little bit strange? I mean, now I use rotation lock on CC, and switch for muting. If I assign both switch and CC button to rotation lock, the right side button would disappear. I think this could be a bug. Ok. This is a little bit off topic.
And, Apple could add secondary option for those buttons. Say we tap wifi icon to enable or disable wifi. And if we force touch or long tap wifi switch, we could turn cellular on or off. Could it be an option?
Or we could do it much easier. We slide up that button to bring up secondary icon, and tap to disable cellular or enable it.

geta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2010
The Moon
There are few more switches,buttons & shortcuts that can be more useful for many ppl on top of what already there - didnt know ppl using the timer so often that it got his own shortcut...

For me, I use apps constantly require landscape mode while some of them would rotate to the right side (I assume speaker close to the right hand is the right side), and others would rotate to the left. Leaving that switch there could be relatively easy for me to centralise rotate behaviour when using those apps.
For cellular data, my advise is if you don't want to waste your cellular plan, turn cellular data off, completely. And when you need it, turn it on. I agree if we have this switch, this could be better.

Didn't know there is a right 'right side' :p
You're absolutely right about turning off Cellular Data for saving credit\data plan, its just headache when i need to dig up into the Settings app every time to do so...

Add widget apps that do some of these shortcuts. Ex: launcher

Tnx for the heads up! will check the Launcher app, im guessing it can do the job for now, although it would be nicer to customize the exist Control Canter instead, so i can have on\off switches instead of shortcuts, unless there is a way to do it with this app...

Who knows, maybe :apple: will surprise, and let us do so in the end, coz this is one of the few things Android OS is better at...

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Apple always saves a couple of goodies for the Fall launch event. I still don't think we'll see it this year.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
I think that the iPhone 6S will likely have the option to force touch a CC toggle for more options or settings.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple always saves a couple of goodies for the Fall launch event. I still don't think we'll see it this year.
They often do mostly related to new hardware or something along those lines. Not that likely it would contain something like this as sone of these type of "saved" features, as you mention.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
They often do mostly related to new hardware or something along those lines. Not that likely it would contain something like this as sone of these type of "saved" features, as you mention.
Likely, no. Possible, yes.

Reactions: C DM

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I sure many ppl will benefit from fully customized Control Canter (like Flip Control Center in Jailbreak), if not, at list they should add few more options\buttons like Cellular Data on\off, Location on\off and setting quick link…

Don’t know what was the priority for them to put ‘Orientation Lock’ (don’t know one person using this option) instead of lets say Cellular Data or Location on\off…

Many ppl wondering why you should turn off these options when you dont use them, well, if you using prepaid cards or contract with limited data plan, this will help you saving your credit and data, as well as while roaming, plus by closing unused antennas, you also saving a bit of battery.

Nope, because it was not even mentioned during WWDC.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
One of the things I was hoping Apple would visit in iOS 9 is the settings app itself. It can seriously be a chore trying to find things in there simply because things are all over the place.

They did introduce a search function in Settings. I believe that you pull down from the main screen and you can type to search. Not completely sure becaus I'm not on the beta yet.

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
Usually it takes Apple around three iOS releases to implement actually useful features introduced via Jailbreak Tweaks! Maybe we'll see this by iOS10...

Userx12

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
I just want to be able to pull up the notification center, hold down on wifi for example, and it take me to wifi settings. Android style i guess.
Exactly. I'd like to see this with Bluetooth too. Hold it down and see your different devices instead of having to go into settings

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
They did introduce a search function in Settings. I believe that you pull down from the main screen and you can type to search. Not completely sure becaus I'm not on the beta yet.
Well, currently spotlight search cannot search settings.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Usually it takes Apple around three iOS releases to implement actually useful features introduced via Jailbreak Tweaks! Maybe we'll see this by iOS10...

Although this is true not all iOS users are power users. I actually know a handful of people who didn't even know the control center existed until I showed them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.