Will iOS be flat forever?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ThePiratkapten, Jul 10, 2014.

1. ThePiratkapten macrumors newbie

ThePiratkapten

For six versions of iOS, the design was "non-flat". Since iOS 7 the design has obviously turned flat. But what will happen after six more versions of iOS? I don't think there will be a drastic change again. Will the appearance develop into some mix of flat and non-flat? What do you think?

(Of course no one can know, but I want to know what you think)

2. Truthfulie macrumors regular

Flat surface and depth seems to be the trend right now. Android is also doing the similar UI design. Sometimes trends do come around especially in fashion but since UI does take usability and interaction into consideration I don't think we are getting faux leather iOS back.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

These things go in cycles. Auto design has done it, clothing and hair styles have done it, etc etc.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

In 6 years, phone's may no longer have a regular UI, but may project holograms directly into our brains.

Obviously, I'm not serious, but the point is - who knows where technology will be in 6 years? The iOS UI could stay the same, could move back to being what it was like before, or could change to become very similar with the Mac OS UI. No one knows, and it's nearly impossible to speculate.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, another design fad will take hold and we'll see changes to the UI to make it visually pleasing to the consumers.

6. BillyMatt87 macrumors 6502a

Hopefully Apple won't make the same mistake of keeping the same UI for 6 years and letting it go stale. It's better to have the design of the UI gradually evolve and be refined rather than radically redesigning it every 6 versions and not really do too much in between.

7. Winona Northdakota, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014

Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

You can't be serious. IOS 6 was really very different from iPhone OS 1.0:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

The icons were tweaked year to year, but they were basically the same. You have no problem deciphering the camera icon from iOS 1 to iOS 6, for example.

9. Winona Northdakota, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

The icons were the same, one being higher resolution, though the apps behind were different. The iPhone camera app with iPhone 6 could do more, like take video, panoramas and edit photos for example. IOS 6 featured more popup notifications, pull down notifications center and generally the app interfaces for Apple apps featured even more skeuomorphism. IOS 6 had accessibility features for customizing look and feel even more for the visually impaired and other differently abled people. IOS 1.0 didn't even have Voice Control, not Siri.

[​IMG]

It wasn't until 2008 that Icons on the home screen could be rearranged and placed on multiple home screens (up to nine).

10. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

I wish that it will be forever. Didn't like iOS 6 design, iOS 7 way better.

11. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

I agree everything runs in cycles and the good thing with Apple is they seem to always give the consumer what they want.

12. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Whatever Apple does, I hope it's for the best.

13. Mr10crossing macrumors newbie

I hope not. If they keep the flat design like iOS 7 for years then people will get bored of it and would want a new kind of design. Who knows? Maybe they'll go back to skeuomorphism in the future.