Will IOS create a market for third party skeuomorphic apps?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by gadget123, Jul 10, 2013.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Will IOS create a market for third party skeuomorphic apps?

Imagine diaries, more calendars with a fabric or leather feel? I know there's a few but maybe that will fill the gap in the market.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

the trend in the design world is that things are moving away from skeuomorphic, just as apple is moving away. I'd say there is no desire to embrace more skeuomorphic so I don't think you'll see a huge influx of skeuomorphic apps.

3. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I agree the trend is to move away it's a bit like the clothing fashion market. I have done some web design before and know how quick flash went out of fashion on websites.

Many mobile sites are basic now, less detail and simple but one has to wonder if phones are getting bigger surely they can support a full desktop site?

Ibooks was clearly one of Apples skeuomorphic design masterpieces. You can't beat those wooden shelves. :D

4. seble macrumors 6502a

Agree. To me iBooks is one of the best examples of Skeumorphism, the way it turns the pages like a real book, to me thats cool. And helps people get the whole idea of a 'virtual book'

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

How about more anthropomorphisms? Siri survived after all.

6. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

No.

7. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

And even in IOS 7 it still looks decent. Is there any apps you can buy to display your Ebooks in an app with wood like a shelve?

Like I say I have found many sticky note apps and calanders which copy what Apple have been doing for years.

8. oliversl macrumors 65816

I agree, there will be more skeuomorphic apps. The flat design is only great for paychecks of designers. It brings nothing helpful for the common user.

A word becomes a button, a bold word becomes a different section of your app, etc.

I hoped Apple would show us the next direction in design but Jony decided that following Microsoft Metro Style was a better solution.

Waiting for the 2nd coming of Forstall ...

9. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

This is a joke, right?

10. Xeyad macrumors 6502

Design is always a trend. In 2007, skeuomorphism was really cool, and I think Apple did it great. Now, after 6 versions of iOS, consumers are now asking for the latest trend which is flat and thin text, and Apple has responded with iOS 7. It's still rough around the edges, but they'll surely refine it in the next few betas and I think they'll nail it in iOS 8.

However, people by nature are resistant to change especially with aesthetics. A company like Ford had so many struggles with the Mustang in the '80s and '90s when they changed the way it looked, and when they brought back the old look in 2005, everyone loved it. For the Apple fans like us, it seems like Apple made a big change with the looks. However, because the grid layout of the homescreen, and because the core functionality of the OS are still the same, I believe the majority of consumers won't notice the new design that much. I've shown iOS 7 to a few of my non-geek family and friends who use iPhones and iPads, and they were like "what's changed?" Apple managed to balance the new UI that it doesn't put off people like Windows 8 did.

I think there could be a few heavy skeuomorephic apps for those hard-core Apple fans that miss the old design and want some blast from the past, but it won't be a mass market that the majority of people buy into. It'll be a niche. I could see a 'classic' notes app coming back, or a bookreader app with real turn pages.

11. jtfolden macrumors 6502

jtfolden

Actually, I think most common end users will run AWAY FROM those type of apps once iOS 7 is released. They look very old and dated next to what Apple is doing now... which seems more bright and youthful.

I'm reminded of an old car slogan - "This is not your father's Oldsmobile..."

12. Ottoman1 macrumors regular

what's old is new...

Some skeuomorphic apps are going to be updated.

Give it a couple of years and they will be "retro" and they will come back.

That's how design/fashion works.

Will there be a market for third party apps? Sure. Some people like skeuomorphic design. Some people like what is NOT popular. My hunch is that children would prefer sd when given a choice.

Those apps which keep sd will definitely stand apart from the rest. I often see iOS7 screen shots with the new icons that also have a sd Instagram icon on the screen capture. Your eyes go straight to Instagram's.

This flat look seems like a fad to me. I believe it will get dated VERY quickly.

13. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Personally I think the design of iOS 6 is dated and was for a time when multi touch was new, retina screens didn't exist and people needed more visual cues on how to use these devices. I don't see how design centered around putting content first and getting chrome out of the way can be dated.

14. bandrews macrumors 6502a

Skeuomorphisms (or visual metaphors if we're going to be pedantic) were never cool. Ever. They were used as a way to help the technically challenged deal with something more advanced than a Nokia 3200. Also, (on an unrelated note but kind of relevant in the minimal/skeuomorph argument) Steve Jobs was not cool either. Genius? Yes. Cool? No.

It's true what you say about iOS7 not being that different - when you put iOS6 and 7 alongside each other, you see how much of the supposed WP/Android copying is merely evolution of many of their own ideas.

15. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I've got some good Skeuomorphism apps from the app store for when IOS7 arrives now. :cool:

----------

How can less colour on a retina screen be good? The whites don't make good use of the screen.

16. iCarabma macrumors 6502

The short answer is no.

The long answer is iOS 7 is way MORE skeuomorphic than before. The word skeuomorphic is just widely misused and misunderstood. In iOS 7 things move like they do in real life. You slide panels up and down. There are transparencies to give you a constant reminder of where you are. This "flatter" design is way deeper. Your options sit on the surface of the glass while everything else floats in the background.

It's just less representational. It acts more like real items while looking less.

And also no.

17. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Skeuomorphism, I thought was when something is made to represent something else? Like a digital notepad representing a real notepad. Maybe its just a buzzword now that people are regurgitating because they heard someone else say it? I have a feeling its going to make the most hated word list for the new year, like surreal.

18. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

The word affordance might just replace skeuomorphism as my most hated word.

19. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I spend a good chunk of my time using the Internet and reading books on my iPad and both of those are full of white backgrounds everywhere. I have zero problems with it. Not sure who came up with this idea that retina screens need more ornamentation but I think it's the opposite. IMO the layers and parallax in iOS 7 is more exciting than making aspects of the UI look like a real world physical device. I think users will have more fun with this device, especially how changing the wallpaper changes the look of the UI. Again, these are just my opinions and I know others will feel differently.

20. oliversl macrumors 65816

Nop, no joke here. Flatdesign is like transparent Apple cases, looks good for only for a few years.

21. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

Let me tell you this here: iOS 7 is centred around thin fonts, thin UI elements, and leverages the devices power better.

Skeumorphism was used before because the textures made up for the low pixel densities, as users can relate to them. iOS 7 shifts that, because high density screens don't need them anymore. So the focus can now be on content, and aesthetic appeals. It also means that the software can be more true to the hardware, as both can now be sleek and flat.

The colour choices are there probably just to make things look more harmonious, and to make each app look like a member of a big happy family. Translucency effects can also be achieved because the devices have sufficient computing power to render the effects at 60 fps, without much of a battery drain.

In a nutshell, iOS 7 is probably the first truly modern OS that properly leverages modern technology. It uses the new hardware of the devices to focus more on content.

----------

How can you tell? This is software, not hardware. Things change a lot with software, whereas your phone will always look the same in a case. Whenever you look at a different web page, your notification centre, control centre, top and bottom bars, and the keyboard will all change.

When you change your wallpaper, a lot more stuff will change. I don't see it getting boring as quickly for this reason.

----------

People don't seem to see that iOS 7 is an evolution of iOS 6, and that evolution happens to look more like android.

22. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

If you guys really think iOS7 is the new trend in design terms, then we've all gone flipping crazy and started throwing overboard all the advancements in making UIs accessible and easy to use for everyone - We are no better than crazy divas following clothing fashion trends :(