Will iOS ever be redesigned? Proper notifications etc

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by henrikrox, Feb 20, 2011.

1. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I love my iPad / iPhone but after being in Spain and seeing the galaxy tab 10.1 stock honeycomb and the galaxy s2 and optimus2x.

I really feel years behind. I love the features added to the iPhone, game center, HDR etc. But the ui has been the same forever now. Android is being so regulary updates and most important it gets redesigned often to look better.

What do you think? Does apple
    Have to step it up with iOS 5.0?

2. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

There was a front page news story a few days ago about new iOS notification system coming. Not sure if it will be in iOS 5.0 though or come later :)

3. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

No it won't. Notifications in iOS are a running joke at Apple.

4. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I agree with you that Apple should refresh iOS and Android seems to be advancing. However, that also seems to be one of the downsides to Android phones. Google merely releases new versions but phone makers are charged with making the OS compatible with their phones. Unless the carrier for the phone pays up than it's likely you'll never see an update on the phone. It's a true shame really and something that seriously bugged me with Android phones. Unless the updates to the tablets are prompt I won't even consider one. At least with Apple I know the device will be supported for several years.

5. milamber macrumors regular

Apple NEEDS to sort out their notification system! It's probably the area weakest compared to all their competitors. Really hope the next iOS version will COMPLETELY redesign how notifications are handled.

6. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

The OS itself is still subtly awesome, with not much of a learning curve at all.
    I agree though, that the notification system, which was perfect in iOS 1.xx, have been woefully inadequate since iOS 2.xx and 3rd party apps.
    I doubt that the next iPhone will be radically different from the iPhone 4 in hardware terms, so I expect the biggest changes this year to be within the software. With most of the boxes ticked, notifications is one of the last major 'tent poles' :D remaining.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I wish they would stop running and fix this as notifications are BROKE on the iPhone!:mad:

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I'm a loyal iPhone user and I have to say the notifications system sucks. They really need to change it, and fast.