will iOS5 kill jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by KHC831, Jun 6, 2011.

1. KHC831 macrumors member

all the features i jailbreak for are in the new iOS. anyone else feel this way?

2. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Still no accessible filesystem, and it was made clear that apple has no intention of ever adding one - that's something a lot of people jailbreak for.

3. KHC831 thread starter macrumors member

yeah the filessytem will never happen. i'm referring to features like new text msg, photo editor, wifi snyc, lockin etc. they cost a few bucks in cyida but will be free in iOS 5.

Cant help but think the folks at Apple are really taking/learning ideas from the JB community

4. gpat macrumors 6502a

the real jailbreak killer is the OTA upgrading. If you truly want to enjoy it, you are going to experience a lot of difficulties with JB data.

5. NunnOtha macrumors member

idk, people love themes, sbssettings, and free apps(pirated)

6. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

With Apple adding over the air updates which only change the files that need changed, as opposed to downloading an entire ipsw file that contains the full OS, Jailbreaking is going to face some challenges to continue on iOS 5.

7. NunnOtha macrumors member

same thing i was thinking. they think theyre having problems now with A5, wait til iOs5 smh

8. kalex macrumors 65816

What makes you think that its not going to be provided using OTA :)

9. KHC831 thread starter macrumors member

because you're only downloading changed components, not the whole iOS

10. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

They will still need to provide a complete ipsw else you won't be able to do a restore if you need to

11. bobright macrumors 601

Some updates are even crappier hell I'd like the option to disable certain updates/notifications if ya ask me

12. henchman macrumors 6502a

13. Advil macrumors 6502a

if they would have introduced a quick-reply for sms feature like biteSMS i would hold off jailbreaking.

but i do love themes, sbsettings, mywi, lockinfo, infinifolders etc...

14. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I just want the ability to back up and archive save games so I can restore Angry Birds or Chaos Rings without having to completely reload my iPhone.

15. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

iOS5 will kill jailbreaking for me when they have themes, let me move icons where I want, access to the file system and a few other things, but they're getting closer.

16. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I currently am still on 4.2.1, JBed. I haven't ad time to research and go fwd with upgrading to 4.3.3.

Would it best to wait to see if a quick JB is released for 5?

By the sounds of this thread, it might be best to get to 4.3.3 and sit tight.

Thought??

17. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

I think unless iOS5 has something like SBSettings, bite SMS's quick reply, iFile and winterboard people will still jailbreak.

I love themes. I don't want my iphone UI to look like everyone elses. Whenever I've gotten a phone, the first thing I've done is theme is. Make it feel more like mine.

And I don't want to have to close whatever I'm doing, then go into messages just to reply to a text. quick reply is perfect.

And I truly hate being without SBSettings. Everything just seems to take longer without it. Turning on wifi, 3g, removing background apps. clearing safari etc.

I don't see myself every not jailbreaking unless apple integrate a huge amount of the available JB tweaks.

And TBH, Even of they do, there will be plenty of stuff we want to do but can't. I believe JB is here to stay.

18. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

I've found zero problems with 4.3.3. If I were you I'd go to that and wait for the iOS5 JB.

That's my plan too.

19. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I'm probably going to update to 4.3.3 also. However, the jailbreak will cover 4.3.3 also, so at least I won't have to wait until 5.0 to jailbreak once I do update.