Will iPad 1 become obsolete when iPad 3 releases?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DPM410, Jan 14, 2012.

1. DPM410 macrumors member

i am hearing all this talk about a new ipad coming out.. with future ios updates and newer apps still support ipad 1? i just got my ipad 1, and it would really suck if i am not able to use newer apps/games

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Won't happen overnight, but going forward, yes the iPad 1 will eventually lag behind in iOS updates
    This is necessary for the newer apps and iOS to take advantage of the upgraded hardware
    Would suck just as much or more for users of newer technology to be kept behind in order to support older hardware

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just because future OS is out does not make it obsolete

4. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure you can find some thing in the couple of million available apps to find a use for it.

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I think it will get iOS6, but that will be the last update for it, iOS7 will not support it.

Going by the iPhone model anyway.

6. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

It will eventually become like the iPhone 3G. It will still work with existing apps, but newer apps either will run very slow (like Facebook on the 3G) or not work at all. I've got an iPad 1 and plan to upgrade to the 3 when released.

7. Cannoli. macrumors newbie

Hopefully not...

Still rocking an original over here!!

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

then you should have bought a newer device if you wanted full apps compatibility. Old tech will run old tech and iOS 6 will most likely not run on it, just like it will not with the 3GS.

9. XX55XX macrumors regular

This is the worst thing about tablets. The planned obsolescence. At least laptops have a longer shelf life.

10. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Well, no one really knows. iPad 1 has just as much RAM as the 3GS, but has more computional power than the iPhone 4.

And I just can't see them dropping iPhone 4 support because it's just one generation old.

The question is: will Apple place the first gen. iPad under the same "list" as the iPhone 4, or under the same list as the "iPhone 3G"?

11. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Depends on your definition of obsolete. It already lacks a camera and so can't do FaceTime like the ipad2. So it's likely that though it will be (mostly) compatible with the next 1-2 major iOS updates, it will slowly include fewer of the newest features. I mean jeez the iPhone 4 lacks Siri, so Apple's track record in this regard is pretty clear.

Otoh, the iPad is and will remain a wonderful device. Not obsolete by my definition at all. Whether you'll want whatever features iOS versions contain going forward, and/or within the ipad3, 4 or 5 themselves is obviously up to you :)

12. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

People on these forums can get a bit obsessed with having/needing the latest and greatest.

I still use the original iPad and have no plans to upgrade to the ipad3. Yes the iPad 2 is a bit swifter in operation, the iPad 3 will be swifter still. But my iPad 1 is still working absolutely fine. And I still use it daily for work and pleasure.

The original iPad may or may not get iOS 6 it is hard to say. But even if it does not it will still remain a great little device for another couple of years.

Regarding people's comments about the old " iPhone 3G situation" I believe apple learnt their lesson on that one and will not in the future release a new OS for a device that can not sufficiently handle it.

13. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Nah! Any iPad will be great for a couple more years...

14. jacktorrance macrumors regular

Some functionality offered by iOS5 was held back from the iPhone 3G due to lack of hardware capability. I suspect that future iOS updates will add more functionality to later iPads than to the first iPad.

15. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Eventually, any hardware stops being able to run the latest software. Doesn't mean it's obsolete or useless! My work computer is a PowerBook g4 - it's on 10.5 because 10.6 doesn't run on PowerPC machines, and there are several programs I have to use older versions of (like firefox as of the latest release), but you know what? Most of the software is newer than the machine, and it still runs everything it came with. It's slow on all that newer software, but I can still get a lot done with it.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I hope so.

With the inability to roll back to a previous OS, it makes me question if I want the benefits of any update on a not most up to date device for the sake of performance

Apple really should allow the install of a previous os on older devices

17. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

The original iPad is crippled in many ways - 256MB RAM, A4 1GHz CPU, older GPU just doesn't cut it anymore. Many news games exclusive for iPhone 4S/iPad 2. I don't think it'll even get all the features of iOS 6...

18. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

19. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

:eek:

what happened to it!!???! Did they murder it?????

20. newdeal macrumors 68020

It will be ok because it is still faster than the iPhone 4 so for graphics and speed it will do just fine for apps. The problem will be on apples end because it only has the same amount of ram as the 3GS so quickly apple will need to start limiting features away from it so that they can conserve ram. This can be a problem for apps too don't get me wrong but it isn't as huge a problem since there is no multitasking if an app runs low on ram it just closes but you can't do that to the OS

21. saberahul macrumors 68040

The iPad 1 (for me) has enough trouble with iOS 5. I'm sure it will either have a lot more trouble with iOS 6 or Apple will support it and make it so that it will run better with iOS 6 (maybe a decreased version). All in all, the shelf life is far shorter than that of a laptops. I just wish Apple would allow me to roll back to iOS 3 on my iPad 1 (best iOS for the first iPad, if you don't need the extra features like me [that's what my other 3 iPad 2's are for]).

22. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Yes they took it out back and shot it. Very sad!

23. Papanate macrumors regular

That's a lie. Everyone knows that phone killed itself to avoid having to face the self destruct app Steve Jobs had built into each one.

24. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

No support.

25. applephanatic macrumors member

Generally speaking Apple keeps a product in iOS update rotation for 3 cycles. EX iPhone 3G iOS 2.0-iOS 4.2.1. However this trait is going to change with the release of iOS 6. The iPhone 3GS will support with limited functionality iOS 6. So going off this, your iPad will most likely support up until iOS 7. iOS 4-iOS 7.
    As product become for tech spec impressive, you will see them being supported for a longer time. iPad 2 to will most likely support iOS 8 possibly iOS 9 (wow thats a far time into the future!)