Will iPad 1 get iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by McGilli, Jun 3, 2011.

1. McGilli, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011

McGilli macrumors 6502

Ipad 1 has had iOS 3 and 4.....

Who thinks it will get 5?

I hope it does. BUT. I could see them announcing a one last big update for iOS 4 in the summer, and then that's it for the iPad 1.... But I hope not...

2. iLucas macrumors 6502

I think it will. The Original iPad came out last year, so it's not a super old device. I doubt apple would drop support for it so quickly

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Looking at the history of past iDevices, it should. If the rumor is true about the 3Gs not getting iOS 5, then the iPad may not as well. It could also be a paid update, there is a clause in the TOS/EULA that states that the first major update it free (4.X) but the others may be a paid update.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The first iPad's hardware is more comparable to the iPhone 4, not iPhone 3GS.

Also, Apple fixed that accounting issue last year with iOS 4.0 were they initially had to charge for major iOS upgrades, so from here on out they don't have to charge anymore, but they still can choose not to support specific devices.

If your looking at Apple's iDevice history, then so far Apple has released at least 2 major updates to their devices.

iPhone 1.0 - 3.1.3
    iPhone 3G 2.0 - 4.2.2
    iPhone 3GS 3.0 - still current
    iPhone 4 4.0 - still current

5. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

More than likely but there may be one feature which is only available on the iPad 2.

6. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

yeah, it probably will get the majority of iOS 5, just probably not some of the cool stuff like the multi touch gestures

7. dacapo macrumors 6502

If iPhone 4 will get iOS5, then iPad 1 definitely will.

8. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

9. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

The iPad 1 is a 4th generation iOS device, hardware wise (as it has VERY similar hardware to the iPhone 4)*

so i suppose it might even get iOS 6 (depending on whether or not that'll be too demanding on the hardware ... i think bumping the iPhone 3G to iOS 4 didn't really work out too well)

*i used the term "4th generation" to stay in sync with iPhone and iPod touch generations. In fact, i'd suppose you could say 3rd generation, as the iPhone 3G was merely an iPhone 1st gen with 3G functionality but no real increase in specs

10. megsandbytes macrumors member

Let me call Steve Jobs quick and get right back to you on this! :p

11. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Very simple answer, nothing at all to think about..........YES IT WILL

12. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I'd say yes for sure. The same processor as the iPhone4 which I am sure will be able to run iOS 5.

13. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

I don't see why not. They have to optimize it for the iPhones sadly so it will be able to run on the iPad 1.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Maybe something involving cameras?

15. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

i would bet it does, too many of them out there.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i sure hope so, otherwise i'll be extremely disappointed with Apple.

17. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

You're all asking the wrong question. It's not a question of "will it?", the question is "what will it cost?"

19. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple didn't charge for iPod touches to upgrade to 4.0, I doubt they will charge for iPads to upgrade to 5.0. I think they said they changed something to do with the accounting which allows for free upgrades to all iOS devices.

20. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Can't see any reason why it shouldn't. It's basically a really big iPhone 4 without the phone and I can't see that not getting iOS 5.

They might charge for it tho as with the iOS 4 upgrade on the iPod Touch.

21. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

It will come out, and it will be free. Don't be silly.

22. Detrias macrumors member

I wonder how much the ram difference will impact performance tho, the ipad 1 only got 256mb of ram opposed to the ip4 and the ipad 2 which sport 512 afaik.

23. bufffilm, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

+1 ......iOS5 will be free.

the only way i could see Apple positioning to charge money for something would be if they came out with an add-on iOS5 module with enhanced functions or extra apps. maybe something that makes better use of the extra memory/upgraded processor power that came with the ipad2.

this way they wouldn't alienate the existing ipad1 customer base but it would provide incentive for those users to upgrade as well as attracting new customers to the product because of the added feature set, not to mention that it would also be another revenue stream for them.

this way they make money off hardware & software...they really haven't tapped into the still growing software market. at some point, apple needs to move the ipad IOS on a separate path from their iphone product and software add-in modules would be an easy way to start that transition.

24. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I'm pretty sure it will. It just barely turned a year old about a month ago.

That and it is still the second fastest iOS device*, after iPad 2.

*in terms of processor speed.