Will iPad 3 support 4G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sportsfrk214, Oct 24, 2011.

?

Will the iPad 3 support 4G?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Maybe

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I'm making several assumptions here for the purpose of this thread.

1. The iPad 3 will be released in March/April 2012.
    2. The iPad 4 will be released in March/April 2013.
    3. The next iPhone will be released in October 2012 and will feature 4G service.

I think those 3 assumptions are more than likely going to come true. I expect Apple to keep the iPad on roughly a yearly upgrade cycle, and I expect the same to be true of the iPhone. I also think that the next iPhone will certainly support 4G. So given all this, do you think the iPad 3 will support 4G? Will Apple bring this feature to the iPad first and give it a head start on the iPhone, or will the iPhone get it first and leave iPad owners waiting til the following year? Haven't seen much discussion on this topic so would love to hear people's input.

As an extra note I think we could be seeing 4G on the iPad 3 because the iPad's legendary battery should be able to handle it better. Though if the rumored Retina display also comes to fruition, that "legendary" battery may need to get even better.

2. xjosh macrumors regular

3. chown33 macrumors 604

Definite "maybe". It depends on chip availability from mfgr.

This thread should have a poll. I'd still vote for a definite "maybe".

4. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Seeing how Apple is moving at snail's pace with adoption of new technologies, I highly doubt it will be there. There are tons of examples, like Core i(2,5,7) slow adoption, still using 512mb of RAM in iPad, etc. I do think they are waiting for 4G market to completely stabilize. This way we do not end up with tens of different SKUs, such as Wimax, Wimax2, LTE Verizon, LTE AT&T, HSDPA+ AT&T, LTE2, and so on. Noone wants to confuse the crap out of a customer.