Will iPad an iPhone keep same iOS updates after 4.2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tac22, Sep 27, 2010.

?

iPhone and iPad will keep updates or be staggered like 3.2 and 4.1?

1. Same updates

24 vote(s)
    77.4%
  2. Staggered each year

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. tac22 macrumors 6502

Simple question... Sorta.

Do you think apple will keep the iPad and iPhone on the same os version once iPhone and iPad gets 4.2. Or do you think come the next iPhone, it will be staggered again and iPad won't get os 5.x till a while after the iPhone like this year.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In theory they should be on the same cycle. I do remember reading somewhere that Apple was wanting to make them be the same.

3. lozpop macrumors 6502

Considering that Apple spent months and months just to bring to the iPad the same features that the iPhone has - like Multitasking and Folders - I believe that 4.2 for iPad took so long because Apple had to create a really strong and unique iOS.

So I believe that after 4.2 all the iOS device will have the same updates cycle.

PS - in some ways, this could be a let down for me, because it will mean that a machine like the iPad is not going to have anything special or any key feature. Am I wrong?

4. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Some people need to be entertained....

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Same updates until the next big jump on iDevices is announced/release, My guess sometime 2012 (LTE, larger possible multiple core processor, more memory, larger storage, better screen, lower power).

6. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Well, they released the 4.2 beta 1 for all iOS devices at the same time, so I would think they would release all future updates at the same time.

7. tac22 thread starter macrumors 6502

personally i was torn but now that i was thinking about it. i think it was staggered this year because the ipad was just release and all the apps were just being made, and apple may have said well lets not burden them with adding multitasking yet. oh and they just worked there buts off getting the final version of 3.2 out that maybe it would take to much work go get it out on time.

either way atleast they've added some sick features to make up for it being late like airprint and airplay.

i hope they do more cool updates like this throughout the year and not always waiting for the big ios X.0 updates all the time.

8. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

I hope so. It'll be annoying waiting for 6 months just for a beefed up version feature that's already on the iPhone