Will ipad mini have scuffgate problems?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by waa1futs, Oct 23, 2012.

?

Will ipad mini have scuff gate issues

1. yes

24 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. waa1futs macrumors 6502

You see how bad the scuff / damage is to the soft aluminum and shiny chamfer edges on the iPhone 5 :ugh:

Seems like iPad mini is going to have the same design and, unfortunately, problem as well :(

2. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

since its using the same technique as the iphone 5 anodizing will that edge wear fast? most people dont have their ipads in cases at least what ive seen compared to phones.

3. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

4. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

Yes. And it's one more thing to complain about, like all the crying we hear since this morning.

5. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Since they use the same anodized aluminium in the new iPad mini (as in the iPhone5), we can assume it will be prone to scratches.

This is also the reason why Apple redesigned the Smart Cover for the iPad mini - it is now entirely made of polyurethane (probably because the aluminium hinges present on the Smart Cover for the 9.7 inch iPad would severely scratch it).

6. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

7. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

8. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

It may very well have some scuff problems because it has those chamfer edges that are plaguing Apple with some of the iPhone fives that contain Nik's out-of-the-box

9. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

i wonder why they would make the same edge where the iphone has the issues on the new one. unless they have improved the coating process in less than a month i doubt it will be any different.

10. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

Absolutely!

11. KingArthurVI macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

Weird, but why would Apple advertise the Smart Cover heavily if it doesn't even cover the back of the iPad when it's not in use? If the cover's on the screen and you take the iPad out and use it then put it in your bag, imagine this happening roughly 10 times a day, won't the other stuffs in the bag scratch the iPad mini? Not to mention uneven surfaces where you put the iPad on.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

put it in a laptop bag, or a special area where it is not next to keys or metal objects

13. Daws001 macrumors 6502

Daws001

That's why I'm getting a sleeve for it too. I prefer my iDevices nekkid and just keep them in sleeves when not in use or in my bag. I am interested in getting a smart cover though as a convienent stand and screen guard when it's out.

14. Scuba629 macrumors regular

Scratch?

Will the new iPad mini's scratch just as easy as the iPhone 5? And if so can a back case be added to the smart cover?

I guess it kinda defeats the purpose of being light but i'm hoping for good resell value plus i'm kinda nutty like that.