iPad Will ipad pro be Mac OS + iOS ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DBZmusicboy01, Jan 17, 2014.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

The one that's going to be 13 inch screen. I don't see the advantage of having ios in a large screen with limited features for its big size if it won't have Mac OS included as a hybrid.

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Nobody knows for sure but I very doubt it will be able to run OS X.

3. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I think that would be really cool and will definitely help apple compete with the new laptop/tablet hybrids with windows on them so people can have full functionality. Then apple should sell cheap ($30) stands for the ipad pro and wireless keyboards for about $40-$50 so that it becomes more like a computer- that would really be a selling point- unless the had a built in stand kinda like the surface and then just sold a wireless keyboard separately-

----------

also adding some more RAM would be awesome so it is as fast as a computer (at least 3 or 4GB of RAM)

4. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Whatever it is Apple needs to brush up on the quality of their displays first. Yellowing and IR is so last year!

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

To be more specific, I hope it won't run MAC OSX. Apple created iOS precisely because they knew a desktop OS was ill suited to run in a touch screen tablet, so it makes no sense to go back.

6. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

There is no chance of Apple overhauling the OS X UI to be touch friendly. They started the multitouch craze in 2007; that gives them 4 subsequent releases to re-conceive as touch-centric. It hasn't happened by now, it's not going to.

7. Altis macrumors 68000

Apple moves slower than continently drift.

I think things like Launch Pad indicate that OSX will soon support touch interface. It's almost inevitable, to keep up with the competition. I don't even like the touch craze, but I think it's coming regardless.

I don't see the rumored iPad Pro running OSX though. To be effective at that, it would need an Intel chipset, and USB support, among other things. I don't think Apple would do that on account of a 2-3" larger screen. Not even sure a digitizer is in the works... but here's to hoping.

Why not just make the Macbooks with the internals behind the screen and a detachable keyboard and touchscreen.

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Why? So that Apple can one-up the near $1 billion write down that Microsoft took on their Surface tablets?

9. Altis macrumors 68000

I'm just saying that would be easier than getting OSX to run on iPad internals.

Sure, the first wave of Surface tablets were a bust... but Microsoft is still a colossal force in this industry. The Surface 2/Pro 2 are in many ways much better than iPad, especially for those who want their tablet to be their main device.

10. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

We will probably agree to disagree, but I feel the surface is better than the iPad in being a laptop (which is not so important) but worse than the ipad in terms of being a proper tablet (which is really what matters most).

That said, I am still not convinced apple will release a larger iPad, much less that it's even a good idea to begin with. What apple needs to do is continue improving in iOS and adding more power features, rather than regress to a desktop UI, not fragment iOS further by introducing a new screen size and resolution.

11. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

The surface 1 couldn't run what Microsoft was pushing, either overall power of pitiful user space. The surface 2 does a MUCH better job. It's actually approaching a viable solution. So while you poo-poo what Microsoft is doing, they are improving, while able gives us Airs that crash all the time and with its browser refreshing constantly and also crashing constantly. Long gone are the experiences of the iPad2 and not crashing once in 6 months on iOS 5/6.

12. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

No. iOS is apples software for touch and I think apples happy with it.

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

So.

If we can assume the iPad will get more and more powerful over the forthcoming years.

To the point where it can run OSX Viably

You think it should be limited to only iOS. Or, with an optional bluetooth? Keyboard, not be able to go into OSX mode and say be as good as a current MacBook Air ?

14. AppleRocks2011 macrumors member

AppleRocks2011

Absolutely Not!

iOS is the best mobile platform on the market. It's design, functionality and ease-of use is what makes it so unique and powerful. There is no way that Mac OS X would make it to a tablet.

I also have my doubts about Apple making a "Pro" tablet. It's just not very Apple-like.

15. yegon macrumors 68020

No chance. Nor should it imo, the Surface Pro pretty much highlights the shortcomings of going down that route. Until there's an entirely new interface as to how we interact with tablets, a full OS is full of compromise. Nothing yet touches a mouse/trackpad/keyboard for speed and precision. Laptop & small tablet combo beats the Surface Pro and equivalents hands down in everything bar the need for having only one device.

At most, it'll be a bigger iPad, more ram, higher res. At an absolute stretch, a Wacom digitiser, which really is the only thing that'd make a bigger iPad a good idea and an uncompromised productivity tool for certain purposes - and it's not gonna happen is it? More likely it'll be just a bigger iPad, same res, same os, and it'll look frankly ridiculous.

I don't care though tbh, the rMini I have is a more than adequate consumption device while my rMBP does a magnificent job for actual work/productivity.

16. Altis macrumors 68000

I guess that depends on what you consider to be a "proper tablet". ;)

I don't see how having far more capabilities and fewer limitations is such a bad thing, or unimportant. The idea of a "proper tablet" or what a tablet should be immediately makes me think of restricting the device to a preconceived idea of what it should be. Perhaps the issue is that different people want different things from it. Hence the idea of an iPad "Pro"... to satisfy those who want more than what it is.

I do tend to agree with those saying if it does get released, it'll just be a larger version of the Air.

17. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Yes.

What I feel is that iOS needs to improve to the point where it can come close or even match OSX in terms of capability. I understand there are concerns with inter-app communication compromising security and privacy, so let's hope apple comes to a suitable compromise soon.

At the same time, apps need to improve. We need power apps like photoshop reimagined for the touchscreen, that can work without you needing to connect a Bluetooth keyboard. The whole point of a mobile device is that I shouldn't need to dock it to a desk just to get any sort of meaningful work done.

OSX clearly isn't a viable alternative since it is a desktop OS first and foremost, and obviously won't work well on touch, not any more than the old slate tablets by Microsoft did.

So yes, running OSX (in its current incarnation, at least), is possibly the worst thing which they could do to the iPad or any variant, IMO.

18. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Well, history has certainly told us what a tablet shouldn't be - a screen running a desktop OS. A tablet so big it loses its key advantage of mobility.

I have played around with quite a few tablets over the years, and I feel that the iPad still comes closest to capturing the true form and essence of a tablet.

All other things equal, of course I would like more capabilities and fewer limitations. The problem is when those added features come at the expense of a UI which is less suited for touch, harder to use, and makes for a worse user experience overall.

19. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

You mean the rumored pro model that is rumored to be 13 inches and rumored to run Mac OS.

Likely not. On all counts.

Apple could have used Intel, Mac OS etc from the start with the tablets and didn't. That to me is a huge sign of what is not likely to ever come.

Same with the larger screens which they could have been making from the start.

Folks are saying Apple has to do this pro model to compete with the Surface Pro but forget that the SP isn't even close to beating the iPad as it is already at this point. Maybe in a couple of yrs it will be neck and neck but even then Apple has never designed to compete with what anyone is doing. Not the Surface, the Note, the Modbook. Not even Android and the flexibility that 'Apple must' out in iOS to compete

20. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

This is true-apple doesn't need to compete with the surface because it already sucks. If u had the choice of a free ipad or free surface who wouldnt take the ipad
    that being said i think it would be cool if the pro had Mac OSx on it.

21. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I agree. How about a dual OS? A tablet that automatically knows when it's docked to a keyboard and mouse so that it runs the desktop OS. And then... when you detach it from the dock it goes into its built in table OS?

Oh... wait. :eek:

I kid, but I still think MS and Win8 is the future (At least the concept). Yes, the Surface Division is hemorrhaging a lot of cash right now but as their app store slowly churns out useful things and hardware makers continue the experimentation I do believe something will take hold.

It's a bold plan on their part... converting the kiddie market (Apple's base) and keeping the enterprise segment satisfied.

22. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

i think it would be a duel os-
    kinda like that tablet with android and windows...

23. vancleef macrumors member

Since Apple named the newest iPad "iPad Air", one can only presume there will be an iPad Pro or similar in the near future. Otherwise, the name change wouldn't make sense.

A Pro model should be focused on the professional market. It should trade size and weight for increased functionality and it really should be useful for professional use. The iPad has always been about consuming, not producing. The new model should be about producing.

The user interface need improvement to be useful in producing stuff and thus it needs better keyboard and maybe a digitizer of some sort. Also, the software side of the UI needs improvement as well. Real multitasking, advanced controls, tweaking possibilities etc.

I think it will be aimed to be the go to tool for education and creative work and secondarily aimed to other occupations that can use the touch.

Combining an advanced OS with touch is inevitable and Apple knows it. OS X have been taking steps to become more like iOS and I think we will see the reason why late this year. It is impossible that a professional 12-13" device will use the same OS as an 4" iPhone. That is just pointless, and Apple dont do pointless. However, They may as well make remarkable adjustments to make iOS more suitable for larger screens but I really doubt it actually.

While they are at it, Apple might as well introduce the new iMac Touch with an advanced holding arm which allows for horizontal use.

----------

Sorry but dual OS is not the Apple way. I agree it could be useful though. However, it would make the average user really frustrated by having to choose one or the other all the time. And a device with dual OS would probably come across as merely half-baked.

24. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Apple has surprised is before (the sixth gen nano, lightning cable) so I wouldn't be surprised and users wouldn't have to pick they just flip a switch in settings and it switches the os. It isn't like the two os are made by different companies they are both apple- remember how Steve Jobs said the iPhone 2g was running full Mac OSX back in the first iphone keynote...it is possible

25. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I have a feeling it is more iOS based, but can run OSX software.