Will iPad work in Israel on hotel wifi?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Pauly16, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Pauly16 macrumors newbie

I will be traveling to Israel soon and would appreciate any advice on using iPad there. Do I need the world travel kit or will my regular set of adapters work? Will I be able to use the hotel wifi just like in the US? All tips and info will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Israel uses a unique "H" plug for mains supply, so looks as though you'll need to source a specific mains adapter. This link might help: http://www.megavolt.co.il/Tips_and_info/visitor.html

You shouldn't have any problems accessing the hotel wi-fi, but check if it's free, and if not consider the charges you might incur on your bill ;)

3. Pauly16 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the info! I am going to the apple store today to check out adapter set they have for world travel.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The iproducts are dual voltage, so you don't have to buy a current converter. You simply need the plug adapter.

5. Pauly16 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.....got the plug adapter today. :)

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i don't about israel specifically, but US radios do not like certain frequencies in europe and japan. if the wifi is broadcast on channel 9 or lower you should be good.

7. BCCISProf macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am currently in Eilat, Israel and using the iPad on the hotel wifi. It works fine. However not all hotels provide free wifi.

The charger provided with the iPad is dual 110/220 V. All you will need is an adapter for the plug. It is available in most of the hardware stores in Israel.

You can also buy a SIM card for use in Israel ( to replace the AT&T one). There is a company called MrSimCard that sells an Israel Cellcom SIM card for $80.00 which includes one month of unlimited data. You can refill the SIM card one month at a time for about $35.00. Works fine when WiFi is not available.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your trip.

8. iwbyte macrumors member

iwbyte

This is great news - i've been contacting the phone rental companies and getting nowhere. I checked out MrSimCard <http://www.mrsimcard.com/s-cellcom.html> and under the "Cellcom Israel iPad Sim + 30 day data" it says it works in all 'unlocked' iPads. Are iPads locked? Any reason this wouldn't work in an iPad 2?

9. zachzach8888 macrumors newbie

I have the same question too? Is ipad2 sold via ATT/Verizon locked? If locked anyone knows how to unlock it? Thanks...

10. iwbyte macrumors member

iwbyte

From what i've read on other forums, this is a non-issue - they are all 'unlocked'. I think the statement was a holdover from when the copied & Pasted from their iphone 4 page.

I've gotten responses from other people that they've taken their US iPads and just swapped in a prepaid SIM card. Of course, IANAL, YMMV, etc.

We'll see when we go in a few months and i'll try to report back.