Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
A concern.

Given how Apple don't like to drop a product from future enhancements till it's quite a few years old.

Is there a danger than iPad2 will have to be restrained a bit due to iPad1 ?

They won't want to have two models on the market for developers to have to write for, and they won't want a lot of iPad2 apps coming out that iPad1 owners can't run.

To me, this can only mean one thing.

Without being able to start with a clean sheet of paper for the next model, it can't be enhanced very much without causing issues.

Perhaps not till iPad4 might iPad1 be considered too old to worry about too much.

Thoughts?

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Existing iPad owners will undoubtedly flock to it in droves. Those that don't likely won't do so because either the novelty has died out for them altogether or they will come onto these boards and detract from iPad 2 as being "not enough for me to bother with upgrading."

Its cyclical and this happens with every new Apple product. But rest assured, there is a market for the successor to the iPad. Likely larger than the market for the original.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I guess I'm expecting great things from iPad2

MUCH better photo app that can actually do something (organise photo's)

Perhaps the ability to see a multitasked app in a window (like a chat program) whilst you are doing something else. So you can have a conversation going whilst using pages or browsing the web for example.

I'm worried that if Apple think iPad1 does not have the power to at least do it half well, then it won't be put into iPad2

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Existing iPad owners will undoubtedly flock to it in droves. Those that don't likely won't do so because either the novelty has died out for them altogether or they will come onto these boards and detract from iPad 2 as being "not enough for me to bother with upgrading."

Its cyclical and this happens with every new Apple product. But rest assured, there is a market for the successor to the iPad. Likely larger than the market for the original.

I don't think as many 1st gen users will run out and buy the new one, unless there are substantial changes. The ipad costs quite a bit more than the iphone, for example, and there is no subsidy for the ipad. So unless there is something more than just facetime, a new processor and a bit more ram, I don't see myself getting a new one. And I'm not sure what else besides these 3 things that will be new.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Obviously this is pure speculation at this point in time. No one knows what will happen until the time comes. However, from the various tidbits others have gathered about the upcoming iPad upgrade, it will be two different systems. First, it is going to have a 7 inch screen. This will appeal to users who enjoy a smaller real estate profile, while others who like a large screen will stay with the current model.

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Obviously this is pure speculation at this point in time. No one knows what will happen until the time comes. However, from the various tidbits others have gathered about the upcoming iPad upgrade, it will be two different systems. First, it is going to have a 7 inch screen. This will appeal to users who enjoy a smaller real estate profile, while others who like a large screen will stay with the current model.

Not in a million years will there be a 7'' iPad. Why? Because Steve Jobs said it himself. The 10'' screen is the iPad's Ace in the Hole against basically every other tablet. Steve says 7'' is too small for a good tablet experience (I agree).

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I think we would all agree that if some great tweak/addition could be make to iPad2 which meant apps that took advantage of this would not run on iPad1 then it probably would not YET be used in the next model.

As I said, I really can't see Apple wanting to have an App store start filling up with iPad2 apps that won't run on iPad1

And all the confusion that would bring.

Not yet anyway.

All I can see is Apps would all run, but perhaps a little faster/smoother etc.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I think we would all agree that if some great tweak/addition could be make to iPad2 which meant apps that took advantage of this would not run on iPad1 then it probably would not YET be used in the next model.
i do not think so - i think you are putting your hopes a bit too high. normally the 2nd gen model fixes up all the problems/errors in the 1st generation, so adding things like a camera, bigger battery, better RAM optimisation (i.e. more RAM ;) ) and things like that to aid the users overall experience.

As I said, I really can't see Apple wanting to have an App store start filling up with iPad2 apps that won't run on iPad1
as with the iPhone model - all products from the iStore will still be compatible with the older gen models.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
i do not think so - i think you are putting your hopes a bit too high. normally the 2nd gen model fixes up all the problems/errors in the 1st generation, so adding things like a camera, bigger battery, better RAM optimisation (i.e. more RAM ;) ) and things like that to aid the users overall experience.

as with the iPhone model - all products from the iStore will still be compatible with the older gen models.

Yes, I think unfortunatly you are correct.

1: iPad 2 will be Cameras and tweaks, nothing much else.

2: New iPad apps will be backwards compatible with the iPad1 machine

Hence my worry that Apple will not be able to make major upgrades till quite a few years away.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Not in a million years will there be a 7'' iPad. Why? Because Steve Jobs said it himself. The 10'' screen is the iPad's Ace in the Hole against basically every other tablet. Steve says 7'' is too small for a good tablet experience (I agree).

While I agree that there won't be a 7" iPad anytime soon, just because he says something won't work doesn't mean he wont change his mind later. I believe that he said nobody would want to watch video on an iPod, he also said that the optical drive had to be horizontal and not vertical like it is in the iMac. I'm pretty sure he said that PowerPC was better than intel, and probably a lot more things I can't think of right now.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Yes, I think unfortunatly you are correct.

1: iPad 2 will be Cameras and tweaks, nothing much else.

2: New iPad apps will be backwards compatible with the iPad1 machine

Hence my worry that Apple will not be able to make major upgrades till quite a few years away.
yeh the iPadv2 will just be smaller changes (but much desired changes) but the largest majority of users. i think it wont be out until at LEAST 1 year after initial release. i.e. July or so.

karlwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
OP: I think you've got the right idea. With iPad's insane success, Apple certainly isn't forced to do anything. For someone who is waiting for the second version myself, this is slightly worrying.

Still, personally I think iPad 2 will arrive on time. It just won't be the update it could/should have been.

Facetime camera(s), 512mb RAM and maybe slightly higher resolution. That's probably all we'll get, and for some people this will be awesome.

My name is Alex

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
We'll have to wait and see however I think that the next iPad will be a generous one. They can't restrict newer devices in order to fit the older ones, that happens with the iPhone every major ios release. The older gen phones can run some things, but not all of them.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I just hope other Tablet makers don't storm ahead on hardware leaving Apple behind due to Apple not wanting to hurt backwards compatibility.

IMHO the most difficult thing to upgrade is going to be the screen res.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
I guess I'm expecting great things from iPad2

MUCH better photo app that can actually do something (organise photo's)

Perhaps the ability to see a multitasked app in a window (like a chat program) whilst you are doing something else. So you can have a conversation going whilst using pages or browsing the web for example.

But these are software updates, not hardware.

And now that iOS has been unified for iPhones, iPods and iPads, I don't think that in Spring - when the iPad 2 will be released - Apple will unveil iOS 5 at the same time only for iPad. Remember that iOS gets a major update every year in June/July.

So I don't really know what to expect from Apple Hardware / Software roadmap.

Tobster3

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
South Korea
I don't think as many 1st gen users will run out and buy the new one, unless there are substantial changes. The ipad costs quite a bit more than the iphone, for example, and there is no subsidy for the ipad. So unless there is something more than just facetime, a new processor and a bit more ram, I don't see myself getting a new one. And I'm not sure what else besides these 3 things that will be new.

I'm with you on that one!

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
I'll be using my original iPad until it dies or theres a substantial upgrade. Cameras and a RAM bump won't do it for me.

I stuck with my original iPhone until the iPhone 4 because there simply wasn't enough "new" about the other iPhones to justify the upgrade.

I'll do the same with my iPad. Especially after how much my iPad cost! Spending hundreds of dollars every year for a new gadget that has only marginally improved is somewhat insane.

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Yeah, definitely would not upgrade for a camera/Front facing camera and facetime and maybe slight battery improvements etc

Even a better display, improved processor would do it. It wouldn't drastically improve the experience for me to upgrade. Can't see them dramatically change the actual design either. They may make it slightly thinner but can't see them going the iPhone 4 rite and flattening the back.

I would personally wait for the upgrade after the next upgrade to consider changing. Did that with the iPhone. Had 1st gen iPhone and did not upgrade to the 3G. No point. But dod go to 3GS for the much faster performance and the 3G. No point in going iPhone4 so will wait to see what the next one is like.

But I only ever upgrade if necessary and there are clear benefits. I'm still using my 2006 intel iMac 24in. Don't do anything overly taxing on it so no need to upgrade yet...

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Did you see other tablet PCS? Like Samsung galaxy TAB?

Was there anything that would make you throw your iPad away? No. Other tablets are so overpriced and they have smaller screens than iPad.

Apple will throw in these three things.

1. Camera
2. 512 Ram instead of 256
3. Gyroscope

They can call it a day for 2011. I don't even know if they will update processor. Even if they did, it will be slight bump. Without any serious competition from other companies, apple will enjoy their high profits.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
It seems like "every other upgrade" is the sweet spot for most technology, especially with Apple.

The iPhone 1 was cool, the iPhone 3G was better in a handful of things, the iPhone 3GS was even better, the iPhone 4 was better still. From 1 to 3GS and from 3G to 4 are both really significant steps forward and well worth the upgrade. (of course iPhone 1 to iPhone 4 is certainly worth the upgrade too.)

I think the iPad 2 will be incremental as well.

I think the things that will "bust" backwards application compatibility would be RAM changes (512MB+ for 2nd or 3rd generation iPad), and Cameras. There may be other gizmos too -- I mean, who would have predicted a Gyroscope would become standard in 2010?

It's not to hard to write an App that gracefully "downsizes" itself to work on an iPhone 1. You just add some code that checks to see what API features are available and disable chunks of your UI appropriately. I'm working on that right now for a couple of Universal Apps that I expect will run on iPhone 1-4, and iPad 1+.

I don't think iPad 1 will hold back Apple's iPad 2 at all.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Unfortunately I think your perspective is missing something.

Clearly you don't have a good understanding of hardware or software or the nature of iOS. iPad1, iPad2, iPad4. You don't seem to know much about Apple or electronics/computers in general. That isn't how it works.

Whether they do it in iPad 2 or iPad4 as you say, it's not like that new version that you imagine being radically different will ever be.

freitas

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2008
Ohio, USA
Think in terms of the original iPhone to the iPhone 4. It took three years and a lot of the masses grumbling over missing features before apple got it right (or mostly so). iPad 2 will be nicer but not by much. It may be some time before we see a big leap in specifications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.