Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Can’t seem to find any exact dimensions, but I’m wondering if the screen size is the exact same as the iPhone 11 on the iPhone 12 Pro. I want to know if I can purchase a screen protector for the iPhone 11 or do I have to wait because of different dimensions?

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
It's different, it will fit sort of (because the nodge is the same and the dimensions are just about the same) just not very good especially because the rounded corners are gone which means that you can get edge to edge protection now with iPhone 12 screen protectors.

sumaznboy12

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
It's different, it will fit sort of (because the nodge is the same and the dimensions are just about the same) just not very good especially because the rounded corners are gone which means that you can get edge to edge protection now with iPhone 12 screen protectors.
I completely disagree with this comment. Most screen protector companies just relabeled their iPhone 11 or iPhone XR screen protectors for the iPhone 12. See this youtube video for proof.

SpaceGrayAlways

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
They should work just fine - there's some slight changes, but there's no reason that a screen protector shouldn't fit. Be aware that the mechanisms some companies use to help you center them (the frames that go around the phone for example) will not work, so you'll have to do that manually.

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
I completely disagree with this comment. Most screen protector companies just relabeled their iPhone 11 or iPhone XR screen protectors for the iPhone 12. See this youtube video for proof.
1 rando video of 1 rando screen protector isn't proof of anything. I have now an edge to edge screen protector on my 12 pro that wouldn't fit at all on my XR because it's too big and would overhang on the rounded corners.

So like I said sure it would fit (like the video you linked shows) but there's much better options of screen protectors made for the 12 pro that have a much better fit (like I said in my original comment). So maybe read what I said because you're not disputing anything I said in my previous comment, except that some shady company is rebranding old screen protectors.

sumaznboy12

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
1 rando video of 1 rando screen protector isn't proof of anything. I have now an edge to edge screen protector on my 12 pro that wouldn't fit at all on my XR because it's too big and would overhang on the rounded corners.

So like I said sure it would fit (like the video you linked shows) but there's much better options of screen protectors made for the 12 pro that have a much better fit (like I said in my original comment). So maybe read what I said because you're not disputing anything I said in my previous comment, except that some shady company is rebranding old screen protectors.
I guess your post implied getting a new iPhone 12 screen protector when an iPhone 11/XR will work as well (especially factoring in that most cases cover part of the edge as well). Haven't seen an "edge-to-edge" screen protector for any of the new iPhone 12s. Can you send a photo of your screen protector on your phone? Edge-to-edge seems impractical because of the difficultly of applying the screen protector (plus it might not be compatible with some cases).

Last edited:

SpaceGrayAlways

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I happened to have a Spigen iPhone X/XS/11 Pro glass screen protector so I have overlaid it on an iPhone 12 Pro to provide the attached image. You will note that the screen protecter successfully covers the majority of the screen but does miss some of the usable screen area.

If you position it at the top, there's a gap at the bottom of a noticeable amount. Left to right, there's a slight increase in usable space, but it is less noticeable.

My takeaway is that I would alter my earlier comment and say that though an iPhone XS/X/11 Pro will technically fit and work OK if the screen protector is centered in all directions, it is certainly not ideal, and I would not recommend that anyone buy an old screen protector just to save money.

I hope this is helpful to the OP and others.
mc-IMG_0661.jpeg mc-IMG_0660.jpeg mc-IMG_0659.jpeg

[EDIT] Per the commentary below this post, please note that the iPhone 11 Pro is a 5.8'' display, and the iPhone 11 is a 6.1'' display. As I do not have a screen protector for an iPhone 11 (just an 11 Pro), I cannot speak to that fit with any personal experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lsmachado

sumaznboy12

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
I happened to have a Spigen iPhone X/XS/11 Pro glass screen protector so I have overlaid it on an iPhone 12 Pro to provide the attached image. You will note that the screen protecter successfully covers the majority of the screen but does miss some of the usable screen area.

If you position it at the top, there's a gap at the bottom of a noticeable amount. Left to right, there's a slight increase in usable space, but it is less noticeable.

My takeaway is that I would alter my earlier comment and say that though an iPhone XS/X/11 Pro will technically fit and work OK if the screen protector is centered in all directions, it is certainly not ideal, and I would not recommend that anyone buy an old screen protector just to save money.

I hope this is helpful to the OP and others.

There are some serious issues with your post. First, an iPhone 11 has 6.1 inch screen and an iPhone X/Xs has an 5.8 inch screen. See the picture of apple's comparison website below. Logically, a screen protector that works on the iPhone X/XS would not work on the iPhone 11 or iPhone 12 (an iPhone 12 has a 6.1 inch screen).

I'm not sure why y'all are spreading so much misinformation trying to get people to buy new iPhone 12 screen protectors when an iPhone 11/XR screen protector works just as well but at half the cost. After you finish checking the facts, please edit your comment to prevent misinformation from spreading.

1606600328333.png

View attachment 1682154

SpaceGrayAlways

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
My apologies if I was unclear at all, the post that I made was comparing an iPhone 11 Pro/XS/X screen protector, identified as shown below on the box. The iPhone 11 Pro you will note has a 5.8'' display, not the 6.1'' display of the 11 that you show:

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 6.18.13 PM.jpg

The Screen protector I had laying around was this one.

mc-IMG_0367 2.jpeg

However, you're correct that in this context a screen protector for an iPhone 11 (not iPhone 11 Pro) should in fact fit fine with the 6.1'' display. My apologies if that was not clear. I have gone ahead and made a note of your comment in my post above this one to better explain that difference.

sumaznboy12

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
Thanks for clarifying. I agree with you that no one should get an iPhone X/XS screen protector for the iPhone 12/12 Pro since the screen sizes are different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.