Will iPhone 3G be able to take video with OS3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Agolden, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Agolden macrumors newbie

I guess I will find out tomorrow if you guys dont know.

2. inf macrumors 6502

inf

No. 3G doesn't have the capability without jailbreak.

3. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

No it won't, as has been widely reported. Interestingly if you jailbreak your iphone there are applications that DO get the camera to record basic video.

You're not missing much, as the initial reports are that the video quality from the iphone 3GS is only "so so".

4. Agolden thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, i've jailbroken before and used the cycorder app. I think jailbraking screws with the iPhone so I restored. But still, I don't understand why the 3.0 update wont just activate the option.

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Because Apple is not satisfied with the quality the first two could potentially record at.

6. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

As a general rule, Apple will always opt for leaving out a feature completely until they are sure it can be delivered to a satisfactory standard. Although the 3G can theoretically record video, I guess it just wasn't good enough.

7. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Cycorder (the jailbreak video recorder) records at 384×288 resolution in MJPEG, between 6-15FPS. The iPhone 3GS, OTOH, records full VGA (640x480) in MPEG-4 at 30FPS. A very big difference!! The 3GS can handle about 4x the resolution at twice the framerate using a much more advanced codec.

So, no. The 3G doesn't have nearly enough horsepower to do video like the 3GS can. It's not even in the same ballpark.

8. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

NAND chips that are used in the iPhone can only handle a certain number of read/writes. The new ones in the 3GS must be able to handle more so that Apple felt better about including video, which will perform tons of reads/writes if used often.

This in addition to the RAM/Processor that it takes to handle video.

9. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon