Will iPhone 3G lock up if contract is canceled?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iParis, Aug 18, 2008.

1. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

So I really want to buy my friend's iPhone 3G for $250 because she doesn't want hers and doesn't like it for some reason.
    I don't currently have the money to pay for the plan so I was going to use it as an iPod Touch until I saved up some money, and this will probably take me about 6 months.
    Although I'm gravely disappointed and upset, a lot of people have been telling me that the iPhone 3G locks up once the contract is canceled; I've also heard there is a short period of time instead of it doing it right away.
    But there have also been a few people telling me if this is crap and that if you're told this by Apple or AT&T then they're just trying to scare you.

So what do you guys know?
    What is true here?
    And I would love it if you posted some links.

NOTES:
    1) I posted a thread a little like this but at that time I just wanted to find out if it would be worth it.

2) Don't tell me to use the search to find my answers, I tried that.

3) I have a tendency to not trust Wikipedia but I will still take a look at it.

2. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

You could jailbreak it and not worry about activating it, but once it's been activated with AT&T only a software restore would require reactivation which you would only need an AT&T sim card for.

Anyhow, as long as there is pwnage no matter what you do (restore ect.) you won't end up with a unusable device.

3. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Pwnage?
    What's that?
    I've hear of it but don't know exactly what it is.
    Is this another type of software to jail brake iPhones/Touches.
    I don't really want to jailbrake it because I just want the natural default layout, no free games, backgrounds, etc, etc.
    Although I will jailbrake it if I have to.

4. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

well i cancelled at&t contract and phone remained activated, though i removed the sim right away, my question is if i update, will phone remain activated?

5. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

[EDIT]So your iPhone 3G will still sync even though the contract is canceled?[/EDIT]

If I do buy it I will probably also remove the sim card right away.
    That's why I'm probably going to buy it right after a software update.
    Like you know how 2.0.2 just came out?
    I'll probably do it right after 2.0.3 or 2.0.4 (or they might just skip to 2.1) comes out, then it will at least be some of the latest software.

6. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

we'll I removed the sim and even when I sync the old phone number still apears there.

7. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Well then I don't really need the sim card during the time I'm going to be using it as an iPod Touch.
    So I will just take out the sim card during that period of time.
    And I think that is still displays the number because that's information inside the phone itself.

8. Hustle macrumors 6502a

The phone will NOT relock unless you restore it.

9. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Sweet.
    So I'll just do a manually manage music and videos kinda thing, or I will just have to remember not to restore it.
    Are you positive it won't lock if I update it?

10. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Syncing isn't the same thing as restoring. Restoring wipes the iPhone so it's like when you took it out of the box.

11. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

I know that. XD
    I also know how to erase all music, videos, etc without having to restore it.
    So I think I'm good to go and I will more than likely get it.

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

The iphone 3g is completely different from the iphone (first gen) in terms of activation. Once the iphone 3g is activated, any ATT sim can accept. I've restored the iPhone 3g without a SIM and had it reactivated without and problems.

The iphone (first gen) was made to specifically lock into one ATT SIM. The reason for this was Apple. The were so anal about the iTunes activation process and locking in one ATT SIM per iphone was because they got a cut of the monthly bill and for every ATT SIM linked to an iphone first gen. they received more more.

With the iphone 3g, Apple has already gotten their money up front from ATT (599/699) unsubsidized price so they do not care what happens with the phone. ATT still cares, that's why they charge you an ETF if you cancel.

13. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

So let me get this straight, I weather I take the sim card out or not, it WILL NOT lock up?
    What about updating?

And thanks for the info. ^_^