will iphone 3g work as an ipod touch without a sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thisyo, Oct 5, 2008.

1. thisyo macrumors newbie

I want to know if the iphone 3g could work as an ipod without a sim in it or with another network sim(without hardware unlock). Will the WiFi and GPS function?. and can I sync my music with Itunes? Please help me out.

2. thisyo thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a work around?
    If I put an old at&t Gophone sim in... would it work?

3. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

It needs to be fully activated with the proper SIM card for you to be able to access any of the features, including GPS/Maps and iPod. Your best work around is to buy an iPod Touch.

4. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Dang. That's kind of stupid. You should be able to still use it

5. threezero macrumors 6502

wait even after you activate it thru itunes and you take out the sim card it would not function?? i though it would be like in airplane mode???

6. thisyo thread starter macrumors newbie

the phone is already activated with at&t... but the sim has been taken out. Read at gizmodo that once activated with at&t, you can use the at&t gophone service without the need to unlock or jailbreak?. If this is true , then I should be able to use it as an Ipod touch... am i right on this?

7. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

well yea but if its activated then your paying the monthly bill for it anyway so why not just use it as a phone

however if you keep your service for a month and then call ATT and say you switched phones and give them the IMEI of your new one perhaps you could return to an old phone and use the iPhone as an iPod

however, why not just do so to remove the data plan in that case and continue to use the iPhone as a phone, and just switch sim to the old phone occasionally

8. lamadude macrumors 6502

Why not just jailbreak? It only takes 5 minutes...

9. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

they said at lunch you could use the 2.5G as a iPod so i dont see y not

10. thisyo thread starter macrumors newbie

True. I think I'll rather put a Turbo sim and get it going with any other mobile network.

Which one is the best known working unlock sim out in the market?

11. Inukami macrumors 6502

Whats everyone smoking these days? Yes you can use it as an ipod touch. Only thing is GPS won't work unless under wifi because it needs to download the maps. Rebelsim is your best bet for hardware unlock.

12. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

yes you can

dude yes you can, just put in to DFU mode and quickpwn that sucker. done now it works. i have one like this now.